Tuesday, June 15, 2010

She Wore Lemlem(on)

Have you heard of Lemlem?  How about Liya Kebede?



Lemlem is a wonderful line of gauzy, easy-breezy clothing and accessories, and it is the brain child of supermodel-turned actress-turned designer (and also Goodwill Ambassador for the World Health Organization), Liya Kebede.  She founded the line in 2007 as a way to provide traditional weavers in her native country of Ethiopia with a means to escape poverty.

I have to say I'm usually highly suspect of models-turned actresses-turned designers-turned home interior decorators-turned whatevers - and not without good reason.  A lot of of the time these people are selling their name as an alternate way to make more money (and there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself), but many have very little to do with the actual product that is turned out - or the process it undergoes to get to the consumer.  However this is not the case with Lemlem or Liya at all - and who doesn't want to get behind a woman who is trying to make a difference in the world?  The word Lemlem means "to bloom or flourish":


And I suspect that this is exactly what is occurring for weavers in Ethiopia who are partaking in the construction of these delightful items.

Just prior to Memorial Day I did a post on beach cover-ups.  Prior to doing the post I had been eyeballing a particular Lemlem tunic for weeks in a favorite haunt of mine, so decided to include an alternate dress style in the post.  At the time I was unaware of the history behind the line and more concerned about the price tag on the garment because it was by no means inexpensive.  But after learning a little more about the people my purchase would go to support I jumped off my wallet and got the Tiru Open Weave Tunic and honeys I have not regretted it once.

                                                                   image via J.Crew
      
Examine it.  The one at J.Crew is identical to the one I bought except mine's not on backorder until August 24th - instead it's resting comfortably in my closet.  In the past couple weeks it has gotten a lot of good use and I'm very happy with it because it can be worn for much more than just beach attire.


Think: lounging around your house on a Saturday afternoon wearing denim shorts and a tank.  It's a little breezy, but you'd like to sit outside and read a magazine.  What's a girl to do?  Throw on the Tiru Tunic and relax away.


Maybe it's a super gusty day at the beach. The sun's shining brightly, but you fear a sandstorm might come up and catch you off guard.  No problem.  Tiru's got it covered.

                                  Seriously.  We damn near blew away this day, but it was still rad.

Perhaps you've endured a rather balmy yet somewhat muggy afternoon.  You're going to meet your girlfriends for a cocktail, but don't feel like wearing a dress (sticky legs = no can do) and jeans will be too warm.  Why not try the Tiru over a light cami and a pair of cropped leggings completing your look with a cute heel?

    (Yes the Swedish Hasbeens are on maximum overdrive over here.  If you own a pair you know why.)

Worked charmingly for me.  And this is only one of several options that Lemlem has to offer for Spring and Summer.  You can check them out here, here and here for lots of different styles - there are also plenty of adorable pieces for children.  But if you are interested I would recommend acting fast - these pieces are handcrafted and appear to be selling out quickly.

Outfit details:  Nicole Miller sunglasses, GAP tank, Lemlem Tiru tunic, Splendid crop leggings, Swedish Hasbeens super-high peep toe, Rebecca Minkoff studded rocker

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute shoes. r they wooden sole? are they comfy?

x

this free bird said...

Lin!! yes on both accounts - wooden sole and SUPER COMFY - swedish hasbeens and this particular one is the superhigh peep-toe. I highly recommend!!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I am loving Lemlem! Thank you for sharing this. It is a great new discovery for me!

Annastasia said...

Very nice style!

VanilahFashion said...

This blouse is so beautiful!
Vanilah xx

www.vanilah.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Beautiful tunic - stylish and for a good cause. If only all fashion decisions could be this easy! (You also look cool as a cucumber on the beach in your tunic!)

Thanks for the e-mail of beach ideas - this is exactly what I needed for the days we're in Southern California! And I will absolutely take part in the tagged activity from a few days ago!

APieceOfCrap said...

nice bag!!

Our brand new blog, and our first. Take a peek.
www.apieceofcrapdepartment.blogspot.com

best regards from Sweden

Unknown said...

love the pics and those shoes are cute xxxxx

Anonymous said...

thanks for letting me know.. on both blogs! he he! :) I'm searching them now... how have i only just heard about them? Ps.. ur probably asleep.. now i'm almost about to go sleep. its 10.30pm here

x

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooh pretty! I hadn't heard of them
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Annie said...

Love that jcrew cover up!

erica said...

wow I am absolutely loving it!!!

xo

Unknown said...

Love the Rebecca Minkoff bag!

xx,
Anna Jane

Fab Five said...

I'm heading out to the beach today...I wish I had that gorgeous tunic!!

Love your blog!
Be sure to check out our page and enter our contest for a chance to be featured in our next blog post!!

BrooklynBlonde said...

I love that bag! I've always wanted it and never got it...

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

I love this post! I am all about supporting good causes with my purchasing. It looks fantastic on you and seems like such a perfect addition to your wardrobe.

grayce said...

love the looks! and to hear about a designer/supermodel/ect with a good cause xoxoxo

alli/hooray said...

Thank you for posting about this! Her work is beautiful and I love that it is for a good cause. The tunic is perfect for summer and so versatile!

Sarah said...

loving the tunic! I didn't know Liya had done this- great cause x

Alicia Lund said...

I have not heard of Lemlem, but I love this tunic! It looks great on you and is the perfect swimsuit coverup!

Valerie said...

I havne't heard of Lemlem, but this tunic is adorable and looks great on you in all the different settings and pairings. And as you said, it's in your closet instead of on backorder! Score! You look so relaxed and happy in it.

I'm frightened to even think about the people at the OC Farmer's Market if you say they're worse than those in Santa Monica. Scary!

xo
Valerie

Marcie said...

I can't wait to look into Lemlem. That tunic looks great on you!

I am so impressed you like ironing! I can't stand it. I will do laundry, fold and put away, but ironing makes me cringe-- ha ha.

xo
Marcie

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Love the bag, love it!
I would rather take a beating than iron, I just would.
Can't wait to check this airy, breezy, beachy style out! Great lead Carrie!

this free bird said...

Ahahahahaha Bumpkin!! Your comment about the ironing just made me roll!! hahahaha

Bring Pretty Back said...

Carrie, First of all Thank you for that comment on my blog! I needed kleenex to read your comment!!! Secondly ... you need to work for this company and make commission because I feel I NEEEEED one of these shirts! How have I lived without it all my life!
Love you - love your blog-I'm following you!
Have a pretty night,
Kristin

Annastasia said...

Thank you very much for your comment :))

Josie said...

I LOVE your look -- so breezy and effortless. This is super gorgeous. I've never heard of either of these brands but will definitely check them out!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Wow, that is a very good deal! A lot of money saved!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails