Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Studded

If you've been following my blog for even the shortest period of time you've likely noticed that I like to mix studded elements into my outfits. I've recently added a new piece to my wardrobe that many of you have likely seen and some of you probably even own.  Before we get to it - here's a glimpse into my love for studded perfection.  This might be a good recap for my new readers...Welcome everyone!

The Matt Bernson KM Gladiators are one of my absolute favorite pairs of shoes.  This will be their 3rd year with me and they are still my go-to summer sandal:


By adding studs Matt Bernson takes the bad ass factor of the shoe up a notch.  The shoe itself does the same to a more feminine or casual outfit.  You've seen me wear them here and here with sheer glee.  If you are considering I would highly recommend you take the leap.  Remorse Factor = next to zero.

If you're in the market for a brown option, Matt's Barracuda is another excellent option and it's got just a little more stud to it:


Look at the sun catching that one stud on the right giving it just a little gleam!  These ones are entering their second summer and they go great with simple summer dresses or a pair of shorts.  Even though it's been very cool I've paired them with a jersey dress and military jacket for a late afternoon dinner and loved the way the shoes added a spark to the outfit.

And then there's the Alexander Wang Coco.  Remember the story of how I got this bag for my birthday last year?  Complete shock.



That story still brings a tear to my eye - and so does the bag.  The studs are what make the bag.  FACT

And how about the freaking bare-bottomed denim debacle that almost left the Chef  in a muted state.  Neither one of us has fully recovered, but we both agree the rewards of the battle were worth it given this $35 studded score:


This vest has been worn several times already with shorts, dresses and leggings.  It is extremely versatile and adds the perfect punch of za-za-zoo to a very basic outfit (of which I own many).  I almost consider it an accessory.

And finally - how about this little baby?  I paired it with the Lemlem Tiru Tunic and got so many compliments on this particular outfit.


At the end of the day I think it was the soft breeziness of the tunic contrasted with the sharp studded element of Rebecca Minkoff's Studded Rocker that really brought the look home.

Sometimes when people think of studs they think hard or harsh, and I hope these images prove that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.  My newest addition is super simple, but has been a show-stopper each time I've worn them.  J.Crew's Redwood Misfit Chino Short - studded, of course - and coincidentally paired with a belt by Old Stud Handmade.


Without the studs the shorts would still have a wonderful worn-in look and feel to them.  But with the studs added along the pockets it makes them just a little edgy - and the color couldn't be a more perfect compliment for the style.


Notice the worn spots on the shorts and the fray along the hemline.  How brilliant is that?  And the addition of the studs just knocks the shorts right out of the proverbial ballpark.  I had two women stop me on Sunday to ask if these were Current/Elliott.  Woop woop!  Nope!


That day I opted to keep it pretty simple and threw on a simple James Perse white v-neck, a pair of fringed Dolce Vita sandals from last year, and a light denim safari jacket I picked up at J.Crew (I think last summer?).


If the sun ever manages to emerge for more than 10 minutes here at the beach I might actually achieve a tan and the shorts will look even better.  I plan to pair them with a high wooden wedge and a nice blousy button-up for an evening out.


But in the meantime I'm more than content with the laid-back, casual vibe they give off because the studs make me feel like I've dressed up a little even if I'm just running out to the store.  They're on sale right now at J.Crew and if you don't see your size - don't despair!  Call the item locator person and they will find and ship your size to you. 

If you're interested in adding some of the studded element to your wardrobe this summer you might want to consider this super cute summer dress/tunic by T-Bags, this amazing Gryphon jacket (that will go on sale), these hawt Ash wedges, or how about this belt by Madewell or a Free People bracelet (have and love btw).  I'd direct you to this Marni bag, but it sold out within a day of being posted (as she breathes a bitter sigh of relief on behalf of the pocketbook).  Take it as a sign though...it's a pre-fall bag meaning this trend will be around for awhile longer.

You know, there is certain je ne sais quoi about a bunch of studs that, when added to a piece of clothing, a pair of shoes, a handbag or really any accessory, - breathes new life into an outfit. Do you think it could be the bling factor? I mean we are girls after all...And what are your thoughts - studs or no studs?

47 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, studs do make things look cooler

k said...

wow you know how to wear studs! I love those shorts....they are perfect. I do need some brown sandals and have been considering foraying in to studs....hmmm

BeautyH2T said...

I love your story of your bag.N how amazing is that! and I loved you tamed those cats. You are a sweetheart. Love all the studs, gives sucha good edge to outfits,

Bx

beautyh2t.blogspot.com

Barbara von Enger said...

Such a nice story and I love the sandals, bag and shorts. You wear studs well, not everyone can;-)

Unknown said...

Big fan of your style lady...studs and all! So great!

Lilacandgrey said...

Did you see the Matt Bernson sale on Gilt last week?
<33

Anonymous said...

Love those bags, both of them. Those shorts are adorable, I will keep an eye out for them, the color is right up my alley. I could use a bit of badass... who says Moms can't have some life in them still? xo

Closet Fashionista said...

I love ALL of those items!!! <3 studs! :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

erica said...

I so thought of you when I was at the mall last night Betsey Johnson had a really cute black cuff with pink studs... loved it and I am not a studs girl. Also not your mothers jeans has some really cute studded jeans and skirts you`d love them.

xo enjoy your day!

PS I wish I was as skinny as you and had your legs hello model :]

Unknown said...

Those shorts are AWESOME. Seriously in love. I adore all things studded...I hope this "trend" sticks around for awhile.

xx,
Anna Jane

http://seejaneworkplaylive.blogspot.com/

kerri said...

the studs on the shorts look great!! :)

J. said...

I just realized the upside of starting a big girl job - buying those gladiator sandals! lol I love them!!

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Poppies and Sunshine said...

This definitely gives studs a whole different feel to them compared to when I was in high school and trying to be all edgy. lol!
I like the style and sparkle they can give to clothing and accessories now. And you can rock this stud look very well! I love your shoes so much!

Valerie said...

Carrie, you have the best studded items around! Seriously, I'm obsessed with your bag, the RM Studded Rocker, the vest, the Gladiator sandals (why have I not bought those yet??), and those SHORTS!!!!!!! You are definitely the queen of studs. I need to take a lesson and add more of them to my wardrobe right away.

xo
Valerie

Valerie said...

PS
I've got a bee in my bonnet now about those shorts. I just went to the link and they're on sale??? But they only have size 10 left. UGH!!! I'm going to check the store this week. I must have them! By the way, they look amazing on you. :)

grayce said...

even though I love punk. I love your studded looks that aren't super hard. XOXO

Alicia Lund said...

loving all the studs!!! especially that awang bag! a girl can dream... ah. and yes that was a picute of my fiance on today's post! ;)

daily mix LA said...

what a great post! i love all things studded!

www.dailymixla.com

alli/hooray said...

Okay, those studded shorts are the coolest I have seen in a long time. They look great on you! Must go to jcrew soon...

Iva Messy said...

WOW!!! those shorts are completely amazing!! I love them! They looks super great on you! Fabulous post!

Anonymous said...

You certainly know how to pull these looks off! I like that first pair of shoes, I'd definitely wear those! I nearly bought a studded bag a few months ago - I think it was from Burberry... I'm your newest follower! Hope you'll come and visit :-)

dulci said...

I just saw these J.Crew shorts and fell in love! so cool!

http://ladulcivida.blogspot.com/

heather said...

Ooh, I love the studded rocker! You wear them well for sure!

Kate said...

Such a fun post! Your black gladiators are awesome - simple, can go with anything, but aren't boring! Love it! And I am in loooove with the Gryphon biker jacket and the Ash wedges... gorrrrgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh another stud lover! Haha my friends teased me all winter about my love for all things properly studded!
Love your collection!

Couture Carrie said...

Loving all these studs, darling, especially on the shorts!

xoxox,
CC

Unknown said...

Love it! Those shorts are awesome, I love pre-worn-in stuff, if it's new and frayed, I'm buying it! I agree, too many studs = bad thing, a touch = perfect! XO!

Unknown said...

Loving this all! Those gladiators are so cute! I've yet to own a pair of them but I think that should change.

Diana Mieczan said...

You really know how to wear it...I adore your outfits...I love this post and I cant wait to read more:) Kisses my dear and see you soon:)
Happy Tuesday:)

Anonymous said...

ah! so much I love! adore that second pair of sandals with all the studs - neeeed them! and I totally almost bought that studded pair of shorts when I was in Jcrew a few weeks ago! you rock it!

stylenuggets said...

Studded glory- great choices. Don't know if I have studs on any clothing - will have to check.

Chloƫ, Wardrobe Quarry said...

I don't have much studded stuff in my closet, in fact I can't even think of something at the moment, I'm sure I have something though. Reading this post makes me want to make sure I've got something though. Those shorts are adorable, maybe I should do a little DIYing.

Eat, Sleep, Denim said...

All of these things with studs are very cute.
Eat, Sleep, Denim <3

charmaine said...

Hey Honey Bunny!!!

What's been going on? How's my Free bird? I see you are still keeping it FABULOUS! You Know what you're talking about, I am a super fan of studs. Ever since Madonna busted out with them in the 80's, I've been in love. I just think that's a look that never goes out of style, like that fabulous v-neck t-shirt your sporting.

That's why you can wear those adorable sandals year after year because they never go out of style. I'm serious when it comes to buying things that will look good years from now. Both pair are too cute. I am LOVING the brown pair!

Don't let me get started on those adorable shorts. The studs make them too cute. And it doesn't hurt to have fabulous legs like yours. I love the color and that brown leather belt just completes the look. Another item that never goes out, a good quality leather belt in brown. Love it!

The vest, I know the story to that treasure find. LoL! Adorable! Carrie, I still can't believe you got it for $35.00!

The bag, oh the bag! LOVE! I got to read the story on how you got this lovely bag.

All in all, you know how to work it momma! You showed your viewers that studs can be feminine and sassy with a little edge. I like that!! Love the leggings too. They never go out of style with me. Hope you and the Chef are having a lovely week! Talk soon Carrie! :)

God Bless,
Charmaine

Bring Pretty Back said...

You look fabulous! You wear everything so well ! I love it all! I need those sandals in the top photo!
Kristin

Kristen said...

I loveeee those shorts, and that whole outfit! ♥

Chloƫ, Wardrobe Quarry said...

Thank you for following me and yes I'd love to follow back, following now.

Ofcourse when/if I get around to doing my DIYing shorts, I will let you know, just gotta find the right item now.

Kinder said...

I am not a huge stud fan, but I do think they look nice on you (=

Josie said...

You are clearly PRO at mixing studs into your looks. I've always been a bit intimidated by them, but I am in LOVE with those gladiator sandals and those amazing J.Crew shorts! You look stunning.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

Oh yes, I love studs with a girly outfit! So badass. I love what you've picked here and how laid back the rest of your look is- you look fabulous! :)

Laetitia said...

I´m totally in love with that studded denim vest!!!! where can I find it? is amazing!

xoxoxox

Ashley said...

Love those shorts! :) And gah, the Alexander Wang Coco is my dream bag, so jealous you have it! I only dream of getting such a bag for my bday! :)

-Ashley
http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com

LifestyleBohemia said...

I am definitely FOR studs! I love them on bags & sandals.

merciblahblah said...

Loves me a stud or two. Ahem....

Seriously - your collection is smashing. It's funny, I stared and stared at that very first photo, because I thought the studs on your shoesies were your toenails painted to look like studs. It took me forEVER to figure out what I was looking at. No matter - I like the look either way.

I will forward my address so you can send me that Alexander Wang bag toot sweet. You're a DOLL.

Merci,
Shan

SweetHome said...

Love all the studded details esp the Alex Wang.

Lainey said...

I'm obsessed with studding. I love those matt bernson sandals, and of course the always coveted alex wang bag. So hot!

Aspiring Kennedy said...

mmmm... time to whip out the bedazzler and get to going. :) this looks gorgeous. those shorts look so great!

love this look. love it. love it. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails