Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Come Sail Away

It is a myth that to live by the beach one must be a lover of water.  While I absolutely love living by the beach I am admittedly uneasy around large bodies of water and rarely go in past hip deep (hangs head in shame only kinda).  It all stems from an ill-fated swimming lesson that took place at approximately age 4.  Picture it:  smallest child in the water, smallest child has to stand on tip-toes to keep head above water, constant tip-toe for over 20 minutes sans water wings spells disaster for smallest child who slips beneath water while swimming instructor fails to notice.  Fast forward to hack, hack, cough, cough, little wet noodle gets dragged out of pool completely traumatized, refusing to return to swimming lessons ever again.  True story.  (insert sad face here)

                                                                   image via treecastle and kidlovesdoodles

Despite my fears I remain mad for nautical attire.  It is crisp, clean and Jackie O - reminding me of summertime, east coast, historical class.  As spring approaches each year I look forward to wide leg denim, striped t's, tanks and paper thin sweaters, big sunnies, anything espadrille (the larger the wedge the better) and a splash of gold jewelry.  This past weekend I decided it was high time to get busy on my boat-themed stash seeing as summer is here and, before you know it, will soon be gone.

poor posture = terror. don't judge

The Chef took me down to the docks where I almost peed my pants standing on that little strip of wood between the houseboats.  I won't lie though - it was extremely peaceful and I felt like Tom Hanks living on the boat after he separates from his lady friend in You've Got Mail.


It was a short-lived moment before that little wooden ramp started rolling and I got myself back on dry land tout de suite.  I'm usually a bit more free wheeling in the apparel department (translate free wheeling as moderately disheveled), but there's something just so put together and Ralph Lauren chic about this style that I simply cannot let it pass me by.


Doesn't it just say get me to the boat Charles?  Or how about get me off this damned boat and into my convertible fiat with a scarf wrapped about my swirling (or in this case moderately contained) locks?


The striped t pictured here is one of a few versions I've collected that are begging to be let loose from the closet.  Nautical stripes are so simple yet so capable of taking even boyfriend jeans or denim shorts up a notch, and the possibilities are endless when considering dresses or skirts.  Here's one of my absolute favorite Olivia Palermo looks of all time.


Check that yellow sass of trim bordering the neckline of her top.  It brings a modern edge to a nautical vibe and a version of the entire look can absolutely be achieved with these sunglasses, this t-shirt, this skirt, and these oxfords.  I don't know what to tell you about the Chloe bag because that thing is unparalleled, although I'm certain there is a similar silhouette lingering around out there somewhere if you're looking for a bag in a lower price range.

So how about it?  Will you be embracing high seas style this summer or let it sail on by?

My Outfit Details:  Brandy Melville Top, Martin+Osa Wide Leg Denim, Tom Ford Sunglasses, Christian Louboutin Espadrille Wedge Booties, Melinda Maria Jewelry

40 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that might be the most perfect pair of white denim ever invented. I mean white pants - SO dangerous! They tend to shorten and widen legs, what a disaster. But yours are actually leg lengthening and so sophisticated. Love it! And crazy about Olivia's shoes.

XO Cristina

this free bird said...

OMG Cristina you totally made my night. When I posted these pics I thought my legs looked like stumps, but hey - I'm no 6ft'er, right? THANK YOU!

and ps on those damned shoes!! sergio rossi and we get robbed here in the US. ROBBED

Lou said...

Hi Carrie - LOVE this post. Did you find that the name Carrie used to make people think of Sissy Spacek and now makes people think of beloved SATC?! Anyway...nautical style is always great and you look very relaxed in these shots. That pic of Olivia P - I am in love with the whole look. Those shoes. Want those shoes... Lou x

k said...

wow, these pictures could be in a magazine! You look great!

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous in that outfit! Love it! Now I feel like buying white jeans and a striped top. xo

Susan said...

I hauled out my white jeans that are so similar to your picture just last week for the first time. OMG it felt good to dress in summer attire.

Your pictures are gorgeous, tres chic. Well done!
cheers
Susan

S said...

I share the swimming lesson story! love love love your nautical look though. I have always wanted to give swimming lessons another ago! x

MerciBlahBlah said...

Fab fab FABULOUS outfit. Tres chic. I have my white jeans on today too - it's like we're twins or something. Except I'm land-locked, and not wearing a breton striped shirt, and my jeans aren't wide flares so much as bootcut, but other than that - EXACTLY THE SAME.
Mwah!
Merci,
Shan

P.S.
Can I just say I'm SO glad you stopped by my blog last week so I could find out about your own lovely blog? It's one of my favey crocketts now.

J. said...

haha that would be awesome!! Unfortunately, I live nowhere near any star wars exhibits :(

PS - Love the stripes!

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Closet Fashionista said...

Great photos and outfit!! You look great :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Your look is nautical chic done to perfection! You are like me, I adore the beach, but rarely go in the water too! Great blog.

erica said...

What a classy and sophisticated look! I am loving your pants!

xo

Valerie said...

Carrie, you look absolutely amazing! Those white jeans look incredible on your tiny little adorable body! This is the best I've seen the nautical look on anyone. Now I want to join in and rush and out to buy a blue and white striped top. Fabulous!

xo
Valerie

PS
I had a very similar experience with swim lessons as a kid and still have a fear of the water too. I go in it and swim/surf/wade/etc but I'm always a little uneasy about it. Swim lessons can be so traumatic!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I agree with the first comment. Your pants do look leg lengthening! I am LOVE nautical everything. I bought sailor shorts in the spring and I just can't get enough of stripes! I love your outfit and the setting for these pictures is perfect! I don't like being in the ocean (and I am pretty sure I wouldn't like being on the ocean in a boat either), but I do love seeing the ocean from a safe place on the beach :)

Alicia Lund said...

Love the high sea style ;) you look so great in the white pants and striped shirt. I LOVE that photo of Olivia, she has impeccable style (one of the reason's I watch 'The City').

Allison said...

Whelp, you had me at Tom Hanks, but I will also add my praise with regards to that cute little nautical inspired ensemble you have going on there! Very east coast of you! My wide-leg white pants are one of my summer favs!

But dude, you've got to go find and instructor and finish off those swimming lessons! That's like a life skill! (I promise your legs will reach the bottom of the pool floor now!)

Anonymous said...

Love the nautical look, you look adorable! And I agree with you, that's one of my favorite Olivia Palermo's looks of all times!

Rachel @ The Haute Notes said...

Great outfit! You look so chic!
That is absolutely one of my favorite looks of Olivia's. She always looks amazing.

Closet Fashionista said...

(yea I have the money for the bag, haha. I just shouldn't spend it since I'm saving up for a car ;) But it IS cute and versatile so whatever :) )
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Iva Messy said...

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE white pants!!! MY FAV!! and I love your top and sunglasses! you look very beautiful. I am sorry about the swimming incident as a child!!!

Unknown said...

LOVE anything nautical. Stripes, anchors, sailor pants, sailboats, navymen, ANYTHING!

You look great in those pants...love white sailor pants. And of course, Miss Palmero looking stunning, as always.

xx,
Anna Jane

http://seejaneworkplaylive.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You look SMASHING and I wish I could see your shoesies better, and I loathe Olivia but OH MAN that look is so GAMINE and adorable, I want to eat her shoes.

xo

Unknown said...

Seriously, those white pants are so chic! I love the outfit, you look great! And thanks for your sweet comment on our pictures :)

Gorgeous Glam said...

What a darling outfit! You look fabulous my dear! hugs!!

PhotoPuddle said...

Just love the outfit! So summery! I wish I had the courage to wear white jeans! Although even if I managed to get some that looked OK I bet I'd sit in something yucky within 5 minutes of putting them on.

And like you I'm not the most confident waterbabe. I'm OK while I can touch the floor but once I'm out of my depth I go rather into panic mode!

kendall k. said...

love, love, love your white jeans!

Sybil said...

stunning!! i really adore this look on you!! nautical chic!! i actually prefer the pants over the skirt ensemble! :D

Animated Confessions

Unknown said...

That is one fabulous outfit! I LOVE nautical style, you have pulled it off beautifully! XO!

BrooklynBlonde said...

Wow!!! I love this!! I love the wide leg white pants so much.

alli/hooray said...

Your outfit is perfection. Looks amazing - and Olivia's outfit is absolutely adorable, too. I could wear that top ALL summer.

Marcie said...

That picture is my favorite of yours! Those white pants are such a staple summer piece!

xo Marcie

stylenuggets said...

You can't go wrong with stripes. Love that look on Olivia Palermo-the girl knows how to rock a t-shirt and skirt

cindy said...

I just ordered some wider leg white pants, but having post hit-the-send-button-remorse/regret was second guessing my choice.

Silly me!
After this post, I'm feeling confident in my choice. However, stripes? Not so much. Being larger chested, stripes are not a good choice for gals like me.

So I ask you, with the fab white pants I'm about to receive (how quickly it changes, right?), besides stripes, how can I embrace the breezy nautical-ness that screams summery breeziness?

Josie said...

You are just too stunning. Your legs are endless in this look! And I am so into nautical style right now; I think that it always looks so fresh and clean.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

this free bird said...

Cindy - Think navy top w/gold necklace. Maybe even navy t that has a fine white stitch trim. Forget it...I'm coming over to leave you a msg. You can do it girl! Those pants will be killer on you too with your long legs.

Josie - I was grinning widely today when I saw your post with the knotted bracelet. Total must-have!!

Mariel Torres said...

what a lovely outfit! i am indeed in love with stripes this season :)

Unknown said...

can we talk about how freaking amazing you look here? wow oh wow. the boatneck top is super flattering on you and you are one of maybe five people i know who can totally rock white wide leg pants. the inspiration is spot on and you look absolutely beyond fantastic. have an awesome weekend, my très chic amie!

Kara Endres said...

I'm loving the stripes right now..perfect location to shoot the outfit! And I love your sunglasses..you look like Kate Beckinsale in the 3rd pic of you!

Thanks for following me!!

Anonymous said...

I love your outfit! White trousers are SO chic!

Corinelle said...

Love your photos! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails