Thursday, June 24, 2010

Embracing Your Inner Hippie

Can you say swing the pendulum to the opposite end of the spectrum?

Just yesterday I was rambling on about my love for summertime nautical attire and now here I am today about to gush on boho chic.  I guess the truth is I relate more to the actual boho vibe.  I've always been the girl with the moccasins, the frayed denim, the fringe and all that goes with it.  It's just me. 

And hey, the beauty of fashion is its versatility right?  One moment we're in one situation or mood dressed for the occasion, and the next our scenario has changed and so, therefore, must our outfit.  Being a girl is so all encompassing.  How do we do it?? (chuckle chuckle. uh, sorta)

In any event I have spent a lot of time recently thinking about my summer wardrobe - specifically how to work with what I've got and save some moolah.  My inner hippie is just waiting for the weather to consistently warm up so I can dig out the goods and be zen all summer.  Last week I shared with you my desired summer hair...this week I polyvore'd up just one version of what you will likely see me wearing this summer. I hope it provides you with some insight in case you have an interest in this style, but are wondering where to start.


boho 2


Image details (clockwise from top):  Winter Kate Gypsy Rose Vest,  Marie-Helene de Taillac Lemon Quartz Ring, Lucky Brand Jaelyn Belt, ASOS Wooden and Enamel Bangles, Mango Mulita Fringe Flat Ankle Boots, Siwy Camilla Cutoffs in Loveless, Urban Outfitters Medallion Ring, Linea Pelle Double Wrap Triple Stud Bracelet, Sabina Mini Pouch, Fossil Summer Wrist Strap

If I'm not wearing a tunic or dress, the denim shorts with a white t or tank are always the foundation of my boho chic look.  From there I may layer on a vest of some sort (silk is also a great option because it's super flowy and can add a bit of color),  a mish-mash of bracelets be it gold, silver, wood, lucite or a blend of each, rings to coordinate, either a brightly woven bag (if going with neutral top) or as pictured above a crossbody pouch, and finally a choice of shoes which may be fringed moccasins, a mid-calf to knee-high boot, or a strappy gladiator.  This is where the summer hair becomes crucial.  Remember my wavy quest from last week...it really does compliment the look.  And of course you can always throw on a headband if you like.  I'm not much of a headband girl, but I've seen others carry them off quite beautifully.

And now please do share with me ladies:  your thoughts on the hippie vibe...oui ou non?

33 comments:

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

I love all of those pieces!

xxMK
Delightful Bitefuls

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Oui! I'm loving all these fun accessories! The rings...the bangles...I do wish I could go back in time and see what it was like to live in the 60s! Great selections here!

Ines said...

Yes, the hippie vibe is always with me cause I like Beatles and Pink Floyd.

I love brown bag from the pic and I think that with shirt and shorts that you choose will great be one lovely hat :D

Scofield lv said...

wholesale fashion accessories jewelry , almost 0.1$/pcs--2.9$/pcs

website: katherine-fashionshop3.blogspot.com

contact us :Msn: natonato1985@gmail.com Email : natonato1985@gmail.com Custom service : 86-0797-8130441

Couture Carrie said...

Love this look, darling!
Fab collage!

xoxox,
CC

Anonymous said...

Adorable! You must look so cute in this. I love the ring. I bought a turquoise ring when we visited the Missions when we were in CA ~ I love it. The moccasins remind me of my childhood because there was an Indian trading post near our vacation spot and I would get new moccasins every year ~ love them. xo

MerciBlahBlah said...

Dude, fashion helps one achieve as many multiple personalities as one desires. I am ALLLLL about the boho-chic look, espesh in summer - they were made to go together like peanut butter and jelly, like carros and peas (blech), like Sanford and Son. Thank you for introducing me to Swell - hadn't heard of it before and DANG they have some cute dresses for El Cheapo Pollo. Wait...that didn't make sense...

BTW - check out me blog today, you maaaaay recognize someone on today's post....

Merci!
Shan

Unknown said...

Love the look! I love anything turquoise and wear jean shorts at least once a weekend. It's basically a uniform for me.

xx,
Anna Jane

http://seejaneworkplaylive.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

definitely oui. it's the soul of my wardrobe, too... although I sometimes get a little schizo. That vest is fantastic. I wish I didn't have boobs, though---boobs seem somehow inherently un-boho. Like I should be squeezing myself in a pencil skirt and curling my hair. bah.

ssmall4 said...

Love boho hippie looks! I try to keep at least one element in my outfits boho-inspired, slightly undone, because it most represents me. no matter what I wear, I have to be true to that y'know? Gosh I just love your style! <3

J. said...

I LOVE that vest!

And, thank you so much for the great advice! It puts a lot into perspective as to what is going to be the more valuable experience.

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Valerie said...

I'm the same way Carrie. I love your sailor look and I love this look too! I'm obsessing over that amazing ring. I just clicked on it and of course it's out of my price range, but still obsessing over it. ;)

I've been wearing my cut off jean shorts every chance I get and I love it with a simple white tee too. It feels simple and fresh without trying too hard.

xo
Valerie

La Boheme said...

Jean shorts and some fun jewelry, what's there not to love? Fun post! xoxo

Iva Messy said...

oui to the vibe for sure. I love that fashion can be one thing one day and whatever you want the next. Its fun. I think thats a great belt and super darling ring!

PhotoPuddle said...

Great look. Today's and yesterday's looks are both completely different but both so summery!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Gosh I love everything here and I know at one point in my life I had some fringed moccasins like that! Thanks for visiting my blog, following and leaving a sweet comment. Enjoyed my visit here !

k said...

this looks so laid back and fun - i am loving your style!

Bring Pretty Back said...

THANK YOU for the BEAUTIFUL comment! NO! I have never hear that song in my life~ and you know what else is so cool about it! BOTH of my grandmothers name's were MARY!!!!!
I am going to go find the song online now and listen to it!!!!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Definitely oui! I love this look, but I'm not so crazy about the shoes.

:)

Sybil said...

can totally picture this look worn in a summer festival!! :D oh yeah! :D

Animated Confessions

Style, She Wrote said...

Love that Gypsy Rose vest! Makes me totally want to "go" hippie!

kendall k. said...

good pulls! perfect for summer boho and YES! that IS the beauty of fashion...it's versatility!

jennine said...

i love it... i've been finding i've also been doing the hippie thing in stride, crystals, tie dye...but none of it iw quite hippie... a girl can try no?

Unknown said...

I always get in the hippie chic vibe when summer is here, I usually go low key with pendants and dangly earrings, I can't do too much! Gorgeous pics! XO!

Fab Five said...

I can barely call myself a hippie... I'm much more of the nautical sailor type ;)
however, I am always drawn to the hippie style! It is just so natural and beautiful! Peace love and happiness!

Marcie said...

I love my inner hippie! So comfortable and the jewerly is the best.

xo Marcie

Josie said...

I'm all about little boho touches to an outfit -- like that darling turquoise ring! Super pretty, my dear! And those cutoffs are perfect.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

I love the Hippie look! As long as it's not on Hippies haha, no the inspirations you've pointed out look beautiful and great! The hippies themselves just never look like this... I think "Boho" is a great way to describe. Beautiful!

Unknown said...

love the hippie-chic look for summer!!!

erica said...

Love it all. The hippie look can be so chic.

xo

Closet Fashionista said...

Love the outfit!! So cute :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Fé... said...

Very cool ensemble. I just wish it adds more color. I heart bright color for summer days. It boosts the mood really well :p

She Wore It Well said...

love love love love this look! makes me even more depressed that it's winter :(

xoxoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails