Monday, June 7, 2010

June Gloom

On Friday evening the Chef and I found out that a friend of ours had lost her battle with cancer.  Melanoma to be exact.  It was a brief, but brutal battle and she was very young.  He had just seen her a week prior when they met while out gathering their mail.  The exchange was short, but she said things weren't going well and she wished not to talk about it, but that he looked very good and she was happy about that.  Even as I'm typing this, I have a huge lump in my throat.

This news is sitting heavily in the air around us.  Not just because we have lost someone we knew, but because she was young and vibrant and we saw her often - and now we won't see her again - the reminder will be constant.  She was a peaceful, friendly, jovial, kind heart.  A lover of nature and people and life. And she will be dearly missed. Somehow I just feel the need to say something about her.  I hope you won't mind.  As much as this blog is supposed to be about fashion, food and fun it's also, inevitably, going to be about life. 

So, it seemed almost fitting that Saturday was the epitome of June gloom.  Despite the fact that the fog rolled in and never left our beach community temperatures remained rather warm.  In the early afternoon we decided to go to a neighboring dog beach and have a quiet break.


As we sat in the sand and watched the dogs racing and chasing and jumping around with their owners and each other, I couldn't help but think about our friend and her loss of life and life in general.  After awhile some interesting thoughts/lessons kept popping into my mind.


No matter how badly you might want something to happen right now you're going to have to learn to wait.  Oh, and while you're waiting it doesn't hurt to have your safety gear on...you never know what's around the next corner.


Sometimes you'll be ahead and sometimes you'll fall behind, but as long as you're running in a pair you're in good shape.


Conflict with others is inevitably going to arise.  Don't be too prideful to take guidance from a trusted companion.


It could turn an almost enemy into a good friend. Or three.


Life's too short not to live at peace with others.  It's also not nearly as fun if you're trying to live it all on your own.


When something horrible is happening to your neighbor, remember it could just as easily be happening to you.  Get involved.  Speak up.  Lend a hand.(see that oil rig in the distance?  what a nightmare off  the Gulf Coast right now...that could have happened right in our own backyard)


There's always room in your life for a new friend.  Everyone needs a scratch behind the ear now and then.


When you're feeling down, sometimes it helps to get out and be around other people. 


Everyone's going through something and, even if we don't know it, we're all in this together.  Take a deep breath.


When having a sad day remember to be kind to yourself.  Wear your softest, cutest, most favorite clothes.  Sometimes it's the simplest things that can brighten your spirits.


Oh, and don't forget the chocolate.  In this case, Godiva dark chocolate covered strawberries and a smattering of other individual handmade concoctions.

Enjoy your life.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

25 comments:

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I am so sorry to hear about such a thing. You have some great thoughts here about life. Great reminders. Hugs to you dear. May the days ahead be brighter for you.

Lou said...

Ohh Carrie - a lump in my throat came from reading this post. I know EXACTLY what you mean - someone I knew at work passed away last week very suddenly and whilst he wasn't as young, it was still a tragic wrench. I am so sorry. And I so understand what you mean about blogs being happy and then life comes and deals you something that just isn't happy and there is this urge to write about it. I am pleased you did - I love the dog analogy.

I am so pleased I found your blog...

I hope the week is kind to you.
Louise x

fashion clocked said...

Aw so saddened reading this post- lots of thoughts are with you. Such sweet words. Life certainly takes us through a rollercoaster of emotion. Just remember to try to be strong and fill yourself with postivies and loving memories.xxxx
katie.xxx

Unknown said...

So many things to say.... first you are a beautiful soul. Most people would just quickly move on, or not even know their neighbors for that matter. It takes an amazing heart to feel for others when its not happening to you.

Also, I'm positive this woman feels beauty at being memorialized in a piece like this. From the dogs playing to the picture of you, so peaceful on the beach, its just lovely.

I am probably not saying this as eloquently as I should, but whenever your down just remember that beauty is everywhere - you just have to look. And you've given all of us a glimpse of that today.

Closet Fashionista said...

Oh I'm so sorry, that's so sad. Very inspirational post though.

Valerie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Carrie. Tears came to my eyes while reading your post. Your thoughts/lessons on life are inspirational. I hope you're doing okay. I'll be thinking of you and your friend's family.

chrisjinkim said...

I hope all is well, came across your blog. <3

Marcie said...

Carrie,

What a touching and moving post. First, I am so so sorry for your loss. Words can't describe how you are feeling. Second, thank you for sharing this. It puts life into perspective, something we all need.

Marcie

Romance Is Boring said...

I really feel for you, Carrie..

Such a touching post, too.. My friend died of cancer a couple fo weeks ago.. It's an awful thing to endure :(

my thoughts are with you...

Romance x

this free bird said...

Everyone - thanks so much for your kind words. It's not the cheeriest post, but it's very heartfelt and your shared thoughts and sentiments are welcomed and appreciated. xoxo

I have some fun posts for later this week, but was not feeling so fun when it was post time last night.

to be continued...:)

Leslee said...

The strawberries look so delish. Great pics.
The doggies are so cute.

Gorgeous Glam said...

Very touching and true. Hugs to you my dear, and thanks for sharing ;) xoox

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said! It is always sad when someone we know passes but it is so much more difficult somehow when they are young ~ it seems so unnatural. I hope you find some comfort from those you love.

Thanks for visiting Inspired Design ~ I am now your newest follower ~Debby xo

Kasia said...

Great blog! The recipe from a previous post looks so good!! Need to try it!

<3
www.kasiabelhadri.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Carrie. This post is so heartfelt and inspirational - and a warm reminder to live each day to the fullest (possibly cliche, but so true).

Big hugs from Wisconsin!

Alicia Lund said...

So sorry to hear about your friend but thank you for this heartfelt post and reminder that life is short. Very true, it's better to spend our time with others than alone! On a lighter note, you look great in your beach outfit!! Love your style :)

Anonymous said...

i'm loving your blog, keep it going!!!
youve got a great eye for inspiration
thanks for sharing!

-cma
COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

erica said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend! That is absolutely devastating and tragic! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends family. Love your beach outfit! You look fabulous!

xo

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

We have far too much in common. I love this post, and that it includes paws to make a point!
I am Lisa, The Bumpkin, and I send you much love from the Sunny (oily but still sunny) beaches of The Mississippi Gulf Coast, I have found you through Louise, at Lou, Boos, and Shoes! I can't wait to read more! Do come and visit me at the swing won't you? I'll be back, you have a new follower, I am #43

this free bird said...

Bumpkin on a Swing...I'm on my way. My heart bleeds for the people (and wildlife) along The Mississippi Gulf Coast. I'm about to follow you too my dear. Strength in numbers.

She Wore It Well said...

I'm very sorry about your loss Carrie, life is precious isn't it?

xoxo

this free bird said...

She Wore It Well - It sure is. Well said. xoxo

Maria at Bachman's Sparrow said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this Carrie. While it's hard losing anyone in any circumstance, the fast ones can leave you really reeling. I hope you are feeling better, and I'm praying for you and her family.

this free bird said...

Oh Maria. Thank you so much. It's been a tough week for her family...and the days ahead will be worse for a good long while I'm sure.

Orphin Lasz said...

I'm so sorry.
But at least, she didn't suffer for a long time from cancer for a long time; I bet she's in a better place now, feeling all happy now, and watching over you guys.

I know how hard it is to loose someone you once knew and appreciated, but, you should better remember the happy days and memories you got to share with her, instead of being so sad over her passing away; you should have in mind that she isn't suffering anymore! And enjoy life the way she would have.

I hope you get to feel better with time. Good luck, and I send you my best wishes.

~ Orphin's Domains ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails