Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Shredded

I have to say I've been procrastinating all evening over this post.  I'm conflicted.  Torn I guess you could say.  Hehe - couldn't resist.

Subject:  ripped up clothing.  To rip or not to rip?  To get ripped or not to get ripped?

Maybe I should categorize the following as the good, the bad, and the ugly (or just simply ridiculous).  Let us proceed with Category One:  The Good.


Let me begin by saying I've been in a tete-a-tete with this trend for over a year. About a month ago I was with the Chef in Ever.  He was grabbing something when I saw these ripped up jeans.  Now I should preface this by saying I am a huge Ever fan and have a bunch of their stuff.  It's California cool - denim included.  Anyway.  Seizing the moment I scampered off into the fitting room to give them a try just for curiosity's sake because I didn't think I'd actually like them, and basically wanted to see what the rips all down the front would look like. 



Famous last words because here they are on my body.  When I put them on in the fitting room I also considered that I might be caught up in the elation of something potentially new.  So I strolled out of the fitting room where the Chef had his back to me checking out a coat.  I said, "hey what do you think?".  He turned around and without hesitating responded, "you know I actually like them.  You're getting those right?"

And now here we are.  The Good.

And I do think they are good.  I didn't buy them too tight so my skin's not busting through the torn leg areas.  I've shown them here with a wedge, but to be honest I completely see myself wearing them rolled up just one more time to ankle level, paired with black rainbow flip-flops and a thin white t at a beach bonfire this summer.  Ideal pants for that type of occasion.  See?  Versatility.  Another reason for Category Good.

I am, however beginning to wonder if it's ever going to warm up.  This picture was taken 2 days ago when it was 55 degrees at 6pm.  For those of you in Celsius that is 12.5 degrees.  In late June. Shudder.  The wind was just brutal.

And now let us proceed cautiously to Category Two:  The Bad

Please help me to understand this because I must not have been there that day.  I mean I get it that Rihanna and the Kardashians can pull these off, but I just don't get it.  If there is even an ounce of extra flesh on one's leg and these things are tight it's a fat bulge between the shreds and, pardon me, but that is not attractive.


Don't get me wrong - David Lerner (item pictured here) makes a mean pair of leggings. And if I wasn't on a wallet fast over at American Apparel I might consider investing in a pair of his....but why not just get a cheap pair, grab the scissors and slice carefully and accordingly if you want to achieve this look?  So long as you don't get too close to the side seam and can cut in a straight line you might be able to pull it off and save, oh, a hundred bucks. (these are currently on sale at Shopbop with only 2 pairs left in this style - so someone out there is pulling it off with a sky high bootie)

And finally, buckle your seatbelts and get ready for Category 3:  The Ugly.


The Balmain Slashed Army T-Shirt.  I am referring to it as The Ugly because with a price tag of $1625 I just can't resist.  What.in.the.hell.is.going.on.in.the.land?  Now everyone knows about the Balmain boots.  They're sick, they're fantastic, they're beyond.  At this point their reputation goes before them.  Seriously - I saw the Buckled Suede Pair at Net-A-Porter yesterday and only one day later (at a price tag of $1605) they are gone.  But that still does not explain this ripped atrocity, that is coincidentally now on sale for a mere $1,137.50.  It looks like some acid got loose and ate a bunch of holes out of it.  Call me practical, and maybe my age is catching up to me (or all my mother's lectures on being responsible with money and, like, paying for rent), but if you want a ripped up t-shirt how about this one by LnA?  Or maybe just rip up your own? 

Anyway.  Thus ends my brief synopsis.  I do have mad love for my new jeans - rips and all.  And I do rock the Siwy Camilla shorts in wonder and snowstorm - both with minimal ripping and fray - but I've personally drawn the line at the leggings and the t's.

How about you?  Any takers on the $1K t-shirt??  I'd seriously like to know just out of pure curiosity. 

48 comments:

Barbara von Enger said...

The jeans are nice but I prefer those leggings.
You did well by pairing the jeans with such a pretty top and sandals. Actually, the jeans look better in the second picture without the jacket on.

Ashley said...

Of course, you know I'm all over shredded everything! Well, those that fall into the "good" category :) And YES!! Please let me know if you ever see the Coco/Rocco on sale! :D I <3 you! :)

-Ashley
http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com

PS- Love and want your jeans!

this free bird said...

Fashion - you are so right on the jacket call - it was just SO FREEZING that day! I have a whole new appreciation for what models go through and I'm just some wuss who doesn't even have to look that good. Imagine what they have to deal with in a bikini in freezing cold water?!?

If you ever wear those leggings I need a picture! You could totally pull it off!!

Ashley - I will absolutely let you know tout de suite!! I'll also check on the jeans and see if there are any left!

k said...

I don't know...I think your jeans would look better if your skin was busting out of them? :p Yes they are cute! I have a pair of jeans from HS that I still wear and I think they are ripped in the bad way - the knee is totally just hanging down...I need to sew them or something but I REFUSE to throw them away. I will wear them to the nursing home.

this free bird said...

omg krystal i'm literally getting ready to shut off the computer when i see your comment and completely burst out laughing!! bahahahaha - btwn the busting out comment and the nursing home line i'll be in stitches all night!! ahahaha LOVE IT

Lori said...

I cannot believe how cold it is there ~ crap it is warmer up here!! Cute jeans for sure ~ also loved your studded post. As for the price tag on the "T" ~ all I can say is wow ~ nope ~ never ~ not me. :o)

Sarah xo said...

I think the Balmain tee could look good. On the runway. In a fashion spread maybe. But on the high street with us mere mortals, I'd just be chucked some spare change and people would think I'm an amped up tramp...Hmmm! Maybe you do have a point :p xo

Anonymous said...

Barf to the shirt. Love your jeans on you! They are so cute w/ the ruffled top and sandals. You have serious style, girl! xo

Closet Fashionista said...

Love the jeans!!! :D and yea..that shirt...ew!
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Jess said...

haha - this post made me laugh! Love your jeans! I actually have some too, even though I thought I would never embrace that trend. Funny how that works!

~jess
http://CheapButChicClothes.blogspot.com/

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I love ripped jeans -when you've worn the rips into them yourself. Those are the best!

Giulia Coricciati said...

oh bel blog!!
veramente carino
Giulia

and flowers pick themselves said...

i love ripped jeans...in moderation. it can be such a cool detail.

:)

xo Alison

Jen said...

I'm definately on board with this look! Definately with the jeans. Maybe not so much with the tee shirt. But rip away with the jeans!!

Leia said...

love your top! :)

Unknown said...

Is it me or is that t-shirt making a face with very strategically placed holes?

Anyway, you look great in those jeans! Very chic. I'll pass on the shredded J Brand jeggings, mostly because I could never take myself seriously in them. Little J, I'm not.

xx,
Anna Jane

http://seejaneworkplaylive.blogspot.com

TheStreetFashion5xpro said...

Gorgeous look! Love the jeans...
Great post.

PhotoPuddle said...

I think the jeans look best in the second picture. Nothing wrong with ripped jeans! Mine always end up with holes in anyway! But seriously not liking the leggings or t-shirt. Would look dreadful on me anyway!

Alicia Lund said...

I like the slashed jeans look but definitely not in leggings!!! And I'm a fan of the holes in the tee's for a breezy summery day .. but definitely not for that price. I think that style will go quickly!

Raez said...

love the ripped jeans! perfect for lazy summer days:)

xx raez

Bridget said...

loove the shoes. i say not to rip (on purpose) but i have some that have ripped au natural.

La Boheme said...

I like the jeans! They say Relax right away so they are perfect for summer. The T-shirt? For a few dollars maybe to wear in a funky way but otherwise it's a no with this price tag.

June said...

great army jacket

Valerie said...

Carrie, those jeans look so great on you! I'm a big fan of the "good" shredding and I definitely draw the line at the bad and the ugly. I have a firm belief that the torn trend should not allow any private parts to be shown. I know it seems that should be an unspoken rule, but surprisingly we all know it's not! I have quite a few pairs of distressed jeans and I love them!

On a separate note, I'm starting to wonder why I live in Southern California. It's been cold and drizzly the majority of this entire YEAR! Can we please see summer soon?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things warm up after the 4th.

xo
Valerie

Unknown said...

I seriously do get the ugly part... like who would pay anything over $30 for a destroyed/shredded shirt... much LESS over a $1000??? ANYWAY, you look good in your jeans.

http://diyainherstilettos.blogspot.com/

SweetHome said...

I wore patched jeans today. Love the jacket as well.....I def will not be a taker on the $1 tee; however I'd wear one if it was very cheap....

SweetHome said...

I meant $1K :)......and I wish I had your weather. I am stuck in balmy/oily weather!

Unknown said...

I really like the jeans! I agree, you can't have fat that pokes out in the rips when you sit down, no good! That t-shirt is just ridiculous, come on now. Unless it was going to be like, a collector's item or something. I love John Varvatos, btw! XO!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Oh my goodness I am quite shocked over the bad and the ugly! Now as far as the good goes, love it! Those looks great on you! I am always hesitant to buy ripped clothing because I feel like I won't have them for too long because they will rip more and soon be unwearable. Maybe I have the wrong idea about them? But, I do like the look!

BeautyH2T said...

Carrie you angel, just read your comment on Maireads blog and i adore you for following. What a sweetheart you are,

Bx

ps I love the jeans,and the balmain made me spit out my lunch when I first saw in with its price tag :)!

Unknown said...

ha ha I totally agree!!! I ahve some jeans that are ripped, and a lot of older ladies say it is tacky lol, BUT I LOVE them:-)

Gorgeous Clara said...

I need a t-shirt like that

Tatum-LeTard said...

You look absolutely fabulous! I don't know if everyone could pull this look off, but you definitely can, sister!

stylenuggets said...

You totally pull off the ripped jeans look. About the shirt, can't say- maybe if I had 1K lying around .....

erica said...

I love some things shredded and other things I really don't like. Your pants look awesome though. You always look fabulous!

xo

Louise (Fifth Sparrow) said...

Those jeans are awesome, but then again I seem to love destroyed denim! I also heartily (do people still say this..?!) agree with you on the leggings and Balmain Tee. WAY too much to spend on these items! DIY people!

And we're suffering up here in Canada with the weather too... 15 C HIGH... yup, in June...!?

Style, She Wrote said...

Great slashed clothing post. Love the jeans and your wedges!

J. said...

my eyes literally popped out of my head when I saw that price! Ummm...I'll take the t-shirt only if I can trade it for a diamond lol.

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. Sometimes the most expensive things are the tackiest. Do really like YOUR jeans tho.

xoxo, Ashley

Sequins and Lace said...

I am your newest follower. I love your outfit and think that ripped clothing can look tasteful depending on the rest of the ensemble, you nailed the look!

Check out my fashion blog http://sequinsnlace.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Yunno, I was anti-ripped jeans for years (I found them less than tasteful) but then this year I finally caved because... my boyfriend liked them! If you're anything like me I have a category of clothes my bf likes, and a separate category that girls will like. Sometimes they overlap, but not often.I like yours though! So there!

xx Cristina

Unknown said...

Oh and furthermore, on the leggings, I just can't get on board with those. They're just so LOOK AT ME. Not my style.

Unknown said...

Love the jeans, could never pull off the leggings, and ewww wtf?

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

I love them on you!!! They look great... I gotta say, I kinda like the leggings :) Don't murder me!!! I would have to see them on though. I love the wash of your jeans :)

Anonymous said...

the balmain t-shirt made it onto C+C because of its stupid price. a friend posted a link to the part of Mean Girls where they cut holes in her tank top then everyone shows up wearing shirts with holes. Hilarity. I agree on the leggings, although I ALMOST, MAYBE paused at them when I saw the gorg Laura on On The Racks wearing them and pulling them off. No can do for me.... heart your jeans bee tee dubs.

this free bird said...

This Laura person - I bet she looks like a mil in the leggings...as does the Shopbop model. Carey!! I totally remember when you guys were going to run over a t and do a DIY!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHA I totally forgot that!! I fell in love with you guys (in a totally normal way I assure) all over again that day. BUSTED.UP. LOVE

ps - ever sold those jeans for 70%off!!

Michelle said...

Those are really awesome, and that shirt reminds me of an 80's talent show I was in when I was a weee child, my hot pink shirt was ripped up, and had gold bubble paint splattered on it. OH yeah.

Mollie said...

your blog is so cool!
i love it!
i follow you, will you follow me?
xoxo

mothballsblog.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails