Friday, June 18, 2010

Unconventional Grilling For Dad - Korean Style BBQ Chicken

When the Chef made this dish for me last summer it was love at first bite.  I have always been a fan of lettuce wraps, but appreciate them even more since having to maintain a gluten-free diet.  Can you imagine what it's like not to be able to eat a bbq'd hamburger or hotdog in a bun all summer?  Well don't give yourself nightmares over it because I've had enough for all of us.

I know there are all different types of dad situations out there.  Young dads, older dads, you may be married and have children so do something special with your husband, you may have a brother who has children and so spend the day with him and his family - whatever the case may be - we decided to throw down this Korean Style BBQ Chicken recipe in time for the weekend in case you're looking for something a little different to pull out on Father's day.  We're giving you every piece to the recipe including the sauces! And btw ladies - if you're like me and your fam is far away - just make it for yourself!  If you're a non-meat eater you can substitute eggplant or tofu for the chicken.  So get ready and fire up that grill!

Ingredients
4 chicken thighs (you can use any chicken pieces you like skin on or off)
*You could also use beef, shrimp or eggplant or tofu for our non-meat eaters :)

*Marinade Ingredients
2T      sriracha (or any red chili paste)
1T      paprika
1t       chili flakes
1        jalapeno sliced
4        ea scallion slice white part only
3        limes juiced
6        clove garlic crushed
3T      ginger sliced
1/2     bunch cilantro
1/2C  grapeseed oil (use any oil you like)
Salt and pepper to taste

Garnishes

1       head butter lettuce leaves
2       ea radishes sliced
1ea   serrano, banana, red jalapeño pepper sliced
1/2    cucumber cut in sticks
1/4    bunch cilantro leaves
1/2    avocado sliced
4ea    scallion slice green part only

rice noodles (follow your bag for prep instructions)

Sauces
*Peanut Sauce
2T     peanut butter
2t      Ginger fine mince
2cl     garlic fine mince
1t      sriracha
1/4    lime juiced
1ea    scallion slice green part only
water
3T     oil
salt and pepper to taste

*Jalapeño Lime Sauce
1/2     jalapeño seeded
2        limes juiced
5cl     garlic
1/4     bunch cilantro
2ea     scallion whole
1T      water
1/4C   oil
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Begin by cleaning the chicken thighs:


and toss them into a ziploc like so:


Set them over to the side and grab your ingredients to make the marinade.


Chop and dice as the Chef has listed above until you come out with this - I'm listing step by step pictures because, for me, I'd want to see the how small/large to make the cuts:


Combine the chopped ingredients with chicken in the large ziploc bag.  Add to it the squeezed lime, sriracha, paprika, chili flakes, grapeseed oil and salt and pepper to taste.


Zip up the bag, set it on a plate, and let it marinate in the refrigerator rotating every hour for a minimum of 5 hours or overnight.

While the chicken is marinating you can gather and cut the garnishes and arrange on a platter like so:


Cover with a damp paper towel and place in fridge.  We also tore the lettuce leaves at this point and had them in a covered bowl in the fridge as well.  Might as well get everything ready so once the grilling is over you just set it all out and eat!


Now to prepare the Peanut and Jalapeño Lime Sauce.
*For the Peanut Sauce:  combine all items except water and oil.  Next add the water slowly until the mixture is smooth (the amount of water will vary). Finally, whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper.


For the Jalapeño Lime Sauce:  combine all ingredients except oil in food processor or blender. Purée until smooth and then slowly drizzle in oil.

Once the chicken has marinated and the coals have been lit, prepare the rice noodles according to the instructions on the package.  When we were at the store they only had bean threads so we just used those.  It's as simple as putting them in a bowl and pouring boiling water over them.  Just allow them to stand for 20 minutes before draining and you're good to go.


We grill over charcoal vs. a gas bbq and the Chef made note to place the chicken around the coals and not directly on top so you don't burn the daylights out of them.


Just looking at that picture is bringing back memories of the great smell the chicken made while it was grilling!   Note that the outside of the chicken will char slightly in the grilling process and that's fine.  It brings out a very desirable flavor - just be careful not to burn it.


Once the chicken is fully grilled pull it off the barbecue and let it cool for a few minutes until you can comfortably slice it.  Think slices that will fit comfortably into lettuce wraps - something like this:


I know this dish has what seems like a lot of steps, but it is so easy to prepare.  I guess it could also help if you had an extra set of hands in the kitchen to help chop everything up...just a thought.

Here's where all the pre-chopping will become so handy because you just whip everything out of the fridge and set it out.  You can serve this very simply in a buffet style.  We just place the dishes in the basic order the wraps will be assembled and it really can be kind of like an assembly line!


I didn't think to get it going horizontally rather than vertically.  Sorry about that!  But you get the basic idea.  And quite frankly - THIS is what's most important...the end product.






Yum!  I can't even begin to describe.  And hopefully I won't have to because you'll get to try them out yourselves - whether it's this weekend or some other time over the summer.  *Note - we didn't do a cocktail with this one because after all that chopping (and in honor of dads) - a beer goes down just nicely.  I have to have gluten-free beer which, for me being a Canadian, is just not the same.  So I went with water and a blood orange soda, but after that warehouse denim debacle the Chef deserved the beer - probably a whole case!!

Enjoy everyone.  Let us know if you try it and how it works out.  Don't hesitate to email or comment with any questions on the prep and we're happy to help.  This is one that I can easily answer on too because, though you wouldn't know it from these posts, I do have some skills in the kitchen. :)

35 comments:

Valerie said...

Carrie, these looks incredible!!! It's 5am and I'm dreaming of eating one right now. I definitely have to try making them sometime.

Thanks for your sweet comments! I also forgot to mention that I didn't realize the Sebastian drench was a leave in conditioner! Ugh. I've been washing it out. So happy I read your post. Haha. I should read directions more carefully (or more often). Have a wonderful weekend!

xo
Valerie

Closet Fashionista said...

Oooh looks tasty!! My mom and dad would love that :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I am obsessed with Korean BBQ. That looks so delicious...I'm salivating at 8:30 am!! It looks like it takes a lot of prep, but boy does it look worth it. I am getting a grill this weekend (courtesy of the boyfriend's parents) and will definitely have to try this out!

Have a great weekend!

xx,
Anna Jane

http://seejaneworkplaylive.blogspot.com/

cindy said...

You rock! These look amazing and will be the perfect dish for my Father's Day celebration. You're going to make me look like a suppahstar!

Rachel @ The Haute Notes said...

It looks so delicious! I think I might need to try this out!

Jen said...

What a perfect Father's Day post!! And it looks so good! Can you stop by my place and make it for us?? ;-)

Alicia Lund said...

Oh my goodness these lettuce wraps sounds delicious! Perfect for a Father's Day bbq! Enjoy your weekend ;)

alli/hooray said...

Oh my, this entire thing looks so good. I mean, I am ready to get in the kitchen and chop food like crazy after reading this. Thanks for posting - happy weekend!

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

This sounds SO good! I want to try it with shrimp kabobs or something =)

And thanks in advance for the email. As you are probably familiar with, I was totally freaked out. I won't be near a computer all weekend, so I'll read it first thing Monday morning!

Marcie said...

Um WOW! Carrie, This is the most delicious dish I've ever seen on a blog! I am in love with this and may try to get Jimmy to help me make it.

Have a great weekend!
Marcie

Smitten Design said...

oh my- that looks delish. can i come over for a cookout?

Gorgeous Glam said...

I'm speechless and my mouth is watering!! xoxo

Unknown said...

this looks yummy but unfortunately i'm a vegetarian! i wonder if i could use the same sauce on shrimp... have a lovely weekend!

charmaine said...

Hey my internet Sista!! This dish looks delicious! I love lettuce wraps! I don't like to eat too much bread, especially in the summer. I swear, it seems like since I'm getting older my body is not too crazy about bread. So this lettuce wrap is perfect for me and my butt. The chicken looks outrageously good and the vegetables. I have got to try this recipe girl. Thank you for the recipe! Have a lovely weekend! :)

God Bless,
Charmaine

Annie said...

Hi Carrie!
That literally sounds like the best marinade ever created. I'm definitely going to try it soon!

Thanks for your comment today! Have a wonderful weekend!

Couture Carrie said...

So yummy, darling!
Thanks for the recipe!
And I just love lettuce wraps!

xoxox,
CC

Anonymous said...

WOW, sounds like a plan! I have to try it!

Unknown said...

this looks so yummy! :)
page

Ali Hval said...

Ooooh.. looks very delicious, may I eat this screen? Hehe. :)

Unknown said...

This looks amazing! I love Sriracha sauce (the rooster!). So happy you stopped by Little Blue Deer so I could find you, happy to be your newest follower! XO!

Mary Ann said...

wow, this is yummy...thanks for sharing. have a great one. verbena cottage

Anonymous said...

Carrie ~ looks yummy, now I'm hungry, (it doesn't take much)!
In response to your question about pic. layout I use photobucket, after uploading there is an option to create collages. Have a wonderful weekend. xo

Poppies and Sunshine said...

This looks SOO good! I wish I could try it this weekend, but I'm going somewhere else for Father's Day and I don't have to cook.

Krizia said...

Thanks for the comment, sweety!
And I must admit that the chicken looks so yummy!
I think I'm going to try it out!

x Krizia

www.krizia-shark-attack.blogspot.com

merciblahblah said...

Um, YUM! I may have to try that for Father's Day dinner tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe and the photos - I love lots of photos with a recipe!!!
Merci,
Shannan

erica said...

wow! Everything looks absolutely fabulous and is so creative!

xo

Maria at Bachman's Sparrow said...

Oh my, that looks SO good! I need to try this!

xoxo Maria

Anonymous said...

Korean food is the best. Dolsot Bibimbap is my favorite.

J. said...

Mmmmm! This looks amazinggg. We are doing BBQ tmrw if the weather holds up - I'm definitely gona suggest this to the chefs (aka mom haha)

Angie He said...

Yummy, look very delicious.
You are a very good cooker!!
Xoxo. Angie

Visit my blog:
www.styleninfa.blogspot.com
www.styleninfa.blogspot.com
www.styleninfa.blogspot.com

Josie said...

Oh my gosh, these look AMAZING. I love any kind of grilled chicken... These honestly look positively delectable and they're good for you, too -- bonus!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh wow. Those look amazing. I really love the step by step pictures they're super helpful. I think I might try this with just the marinade/chicken part because that looks easy enough for a quick meal!

xx Cristina

Jessica said...

I'm definitely making this. It looks so yummy healthy, which don't always go hand-in-hand.

My younger brother is currently stationed in South Korea. He comes home in August, maybe I'll coerce him into demonstrating his Korean cooking skills and make this for me. I'm such a mean sister!

merciblahblah said...

Just thought I'd stop back by and tell you I made this for Father's Day yesterday along with a cold rice noodle salad...SO. GOOD. Thanks for posting!!! I'll deffo keep this recipe in my repertoire.
Merci!
Shan

cindy said...

I hope I'm not too late in posting my thanks and gratitude for making me look like a culinista on Father's Day. Just like the photos, my dish turned out Bon Appetit ready, with the fam ooohing and aaaahing over 'my' creation. This is something I'm going to turn to again and again.

Many thanks to Carrie and the Chef!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails