Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Discovering Nature with Gaby Basora

As the Memorial Day long weekend approached the Chef and I had grand plans to get away and relax.  Then when it actually arrived all we wanted to do was not be with everyone else getting away to relax.  So, instead, on Friday we sat down and wrote a list of things we would like to do over the weekend like nap, go to the beach, nap, go to the movies, nap, visit a couple restaurants, take another nap and take a nap.  I know I keep saying it, but I've been sick for so many weeks now that all I could think of was getting better. 

Well, come Sunday evening we had taken in a couple movies (SATC being one of them - yeah!),  prepared and consumed a ridiculously amazing frittata - recipe to follow tomorrow so start fasting now, spent a couple hours at the beach:


Eaten one of the Chef's favorite dishes (Chorizo and Clams) at one of his favorite spots:


And I had consumed more than my fair share of Pinkberry (sorry Yogurtland lovers, I prefer my toppings without kiddie hand germs in them - she said with love in her heart).


On Sunday night as I was going to bed I decided to sleep in a little on Monday and then head to the beach to get some color on my very white legs.  Instead I slept in until around noon.  When I stumbled out of bed and down the hallway, I was greeted by the Chef's little lady:

What a face!!  After some pets were distributed I went outside to check the weather and sit in the sun for a bit.  Now the Chef has a great front yard that attracts a lot of birds you don't normally see much of in LA if you are sans yard.  While I was out there I noticed this tiny nest in the tree by the front door:
I wasn't sure who that might belong to, but had seen a hummingbird zipping around and noticed there were two very small eggs in the nest.  Sure enough, after sitting there for a bit look who showed up:
Wow. After about an hour of flying in and out of her nest, she decided I was not a threat, settled in and let me get a few really close pictures.  Here's one of them:
Beautiful or what?  Watching her was so interesting, I kind of forgot about the beach!  And instead noticed how the Chef's front yard is chock full of trees and flowers and plants and fruit trees.  Peaches are actually ripe for the picking right now:
Enter the amazing Gaby Basora - designer behind the blouse I'm wearing in the picture above.  She is the mastermind behind the brand Tucker.  Have you heard of it?  I hadn't until a few months ago.  Then, as the closet fate fairies would have it, a few weeks ago I was invited to a Trunk Show featuring Gaby, and actually got to meet her and preview a number of her Spring/Summer items.  The blouse is what I ultimately purchased, but it was a tough decision and I have a feeling one of her dresses might be making its way into my closet soon.
I was all hopped up about the bird so I went back in the house, put my hair up and brought the Chef back out with me to enjoy the day.  The cat had to stay inside - for the bird's sake :)
Back to the blouse:  Gaby uses the most colorful and beautiful silk fabric to make her pieces, and they can easily be worn from day to night.  Look at how cute the shirt looks with simple skinny denim.  Pardon me while I pick the vegetation out of my hair.  Oops!  As long as the bird wasn't in there I was okay...
Trying to get into the habit of stopping to smell the roses. Hope it sticks.

Hope you had a safe and relaxing weekend.  I'm looking forward to seeing and reading about what everyone did (or did not do)!

Outfit details:  Blouse - Tucker by Gaby Basora, Slim Fit Denim by Martin + Osa (not sure what's left, sadly), Shoes - Peep toe Super High by Swedish Hasbeens

19 comments:

Allison said...

Great pics girl! You look adorable as usual! Can't believe you found a humming bird nest, that's so neat!

Closet Fashionista said...

Love all the photos, the hummingbird is soooo cute!
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

The Book of Right-On said...

Your blouse is absolutely gorgeous! love the silk and flowers! have been looking for something like that for ages!
and the hasbeens make the outfit so cool! love it!

Margaux from BORO

this free bird said...

Allison - the eggs are so tiny, but still big for that little bird. i guess the whole pain of childbearing thing crosses over to birds too...poor thing.

Closet Fashionista - crazy that I could get that close, huh? fascinating!

Margaux - she makes the prettiest clothes and they're not so overdone that it becomes mumsy. I hope you can maybe order over the internet or even find her where you are. I've learned I could live happily with one or two of her blouses, a couple pairs of jeans, a couple white t-shirts and the Swedish Hasbeens. Might not happen immediately, but I have learned :)

Marcie said...

Looks like you had a great and relaxing weekend. Those are the best! I love your shoes in these pictures. Very cute.

:) Marcie

SweetHome said...

Love Tucker! I heard about it over here
http://willowchicboutique.typepad.com/willowchicboutique/2010/03/pretty-prints.html

They always rave about it. This is the latest post, but there are somke from over a year ago.

this free bird said...

sweethome - i'm heading over there now to check it out. her stuff is seriously incredible. you want to wear it every.single.day - and she is the nicest person you could ever meet. very real and has the nicest hubby and cutest little boy too. happy to see success coming her way. i think she's really going to take off.

thx for the link

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Sounds like a fun weekend :) I love your blouse! So pretty!

Gorgeous Glam said...

Sounds like so much fun with all the napping! lol. one of mine and the hubs favorite things to do also! We went wine tasting, to the beach, shopping, eating and more eating! We also stayed close around home to avoid all the traffic. It was fabulous! hope you have a great week doll ;) xoxo

Valerie said...

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend full of great food and lots of naps. ;)

I adore your blouse! I've never heard of Tucker, but I'll keep my eye out for it now. You got some amazing shots of the cute little bird!

xo
Valerie

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm going to make the pecan bars right after exams :)
Wow ! What a great post!!
and I really love the gourmet- love the Pinkberry yogurt.. :)
Page

BrooklynBlonde said...

Great photos! Your blog has such a soothing quality to it! I love it :)

Alicia Lund said...

Oh I am in love with your blouse!!!! Sounds like a fun and relaxing weekend! :)

charmaine said...

okay, first off, you look amazingly cute! you just have that natural, organic, fresh beauty look. the blouse is fabulous and i LOVE it with the jeans and shoes and your hair, so cute! i relaxed on monday too than watched a couple of movies and napped again. that's funny!

now the humming bird, my favorite bird! i adore humming birds. they're so enchanting and beautiful. i know that was a sight to see. she looks so beautiful in her nest. thank you for sharing the pictures. in my apartment i have this huge picture window, and every day around the same time, about 2:30 p.m., this humming bird would show up and just stare at me through the window. she would fly in one spot for about 30 seconds, stare and then fly off. i thought that was the most amazing and fascinating thing. she did that for about two weeks. i've missed her ever since.

well i'm off now, hope you get better soon. oh, i can't forget the chorizo and clam dish looks amazing! can i say YUMMY! have a lovely week and thanks for the comment.

God Bless,
Charmaine

Jen. said...

Mmm, Pinkberry is so good! And oh my gosh at the nest!

Raez said...

seriously stunnning photos! i lvoe them, so summery:)

and thanks for the birthday wishes, you're too sweet.

xx raez

Jessica said...

Sounds like you had an incredible weekend. It's amazing how a simple act like watching a hummingbird can just take away all of your cares in the world. And I have to say that I'm smitten with your blouse - it looks perfect for summer!

Annie said...

That is SUCH a great shot of the hummingbird!!

Cheryl said...

I love your blouse! Tucker is one of my favorites. I am not sure if any one mentioned that Tucker will be available at Target in September as one of their Go International collabs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails