Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summah Summah Summah-time (Outfit)

Back in the day Will Smith's (DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince) song Summertime was one of my absolute faves.  Where I come from in Canada summer is a season that is greatly looked forward to because we spend so much of the year in the deep freeze.  If you have been following me for even just the past few days or so, then you know it's been a lit-tle cold here in SoCal for the past couple months - and my parents have had far better weather back at home!  We haven't had the heat wave everyone else has been complaining talking about at all.



Today that changed.  When I got up this morning it was already warm outside.  Yippee!  And when I walked out of the house this afternoon to get in the car it was 98 degrees.  98 degrees!!  Normally I might get to whining about it's a bit too hot and blah, blah, blah - but honestly I achieved a level of inner giddy over the heat this time.  The Chef and I had several errands to run, including showing Cuppie around town...that's an upcoming post.  (Buckle your seatbelts because I'll be giving you an earful about our guest).  It felt sooooo good to be able to wear actual summer clothes for the first time this season.


I've got to say I'm not much of a girly-girl in the clothing department - by that I mean I don't really do bright colors or overly ruffly things.  I want to try it, but find that outfits comprised of basics with the odd ruffle or splash of color suit me best.  This white dress is about as girly as I go.  It screams summer garden party.  Today it was screaming, "damn it's a hot summer garden party" even though we were nowhere near a party.


To keep it real and authentically me I usually throw a light denim safari jacket over the dress, but it was much too warm this afternoon.  Instead I dug out another one of the jackpot pieces I got at that denim debacle last month.  It's hard to believe that was only a month ago...my mind is still trying to block out all those women with their pants off.  Eeps!  Anyway, this vest was amongst the goodies I was able to safely retrieve from that adventure.  Today was its maiden voyage and it's a keeper!


Here's a better view of the ruffled layers on the front of the dress.  Like I said, I'm usually a wee bit uncomfortable in overly feminine clothing, but this J.Crew dress from last summer was a must-have.  Just seeing it in my closet puts a smile on my face.  The ruffles are not excessive in the least and when I put on the jewelry and the tie-back sandals I feel right at home in it.


As you will notice my skin is still a sad, pasty white.  Hopefully I will be able to rectify that somewhat this weekend.  In the meantime, see what I mean about the shoes?  They're still feminine enough with a bit of sparkly leather in the front, but the suede around the ankle gives them a bit of boho feel and keeps the dress from an afternoon tea party vibe (no offense to tea parties - just not today, thanks).


Here's a close-up.  Very cute, comfortable and can be worn with so many outfits.  The ties in the back really make the shoe interesting.


Before long the day was over and the sun was going down.  I'm hoping the weather sticks around for the weekend and is enjoyable rather than excruciating.  Sure would be nice to pull out some more summer clothes and take it easy.  Wherever you are I hope your weather is treating you nicely!

Outfit details:  Target Sunglasses, Current/Elliott Vest, J.Crew Dress, Dolce Vita Sandals, Foley+Corinna Handbag, Melinda Maria Jewelry.

58 comments:

Unknown said...

oh the song of my youth! ha ha xxxx

k said...

oh my gosh - great song. and i love the denim on this dress...keeps it from the girly girly side!

SabinePsynopsis said...

There is just something about summer and heat that makes us feel so much more carefree. Your outfit looks perfect for a summer day!

Anonymous said...

Great song... You look like summer!!!!!!!! Xx

fashion clocked said...

gorgeous outfit- love the white j crew dress and the sweetest of sandals- the denim adds a tougher edge! Love the song great post sweetie!xxx
would love you to call by.
fashion clocked
kisses katie.xx

Jessica said...

I'm relieved to know that California does get warmer! I was so cold on my trip!

I adore how you toned down the girly features of the dress - it really does look very "you." I had a crush on that dress last year, but never took the plunge. (Thus the problem with blogs: old sartorial flames are easily revived.)

Hope you have a wonderful day and I hope the warm weather stays!

Abby said...

White dress and shoes are so cute!

Effi said...

great outfit, I love the white dress with denim...
visit anytime:
http://efashionfactor.blogspot.com/

Lynzy said...

Just found your blog<3 ove it, I am now your newest follower! Follow me?
xo Lynzy
http://fromskirtstoskillets.blogspot.com

Mrs D. said...

You look fabulous! :)

erica said...

please send me that dress when you no longer want it. I absolutely love it! Cute shoes! I dont think I could ever pull them off but love them on you!

Yay for FINALLY having some good weather... most most be completely excited!

I cant wait for the recipes!

xo

Susan said...

Love the song... love the outfit

Anonymous said...

Carrie, I want to come to California and have you redo my wardrobe! I am excited about your upcoming Cuppie post ~ I miss the little guy! ha ha
It is hard to get him in a picture because he is so small, perhaps I should have sent the dogs to model as well. xo

Nikki said...

Love that song and Love your outfit!
You always look effortlessly gorgeous! I love it!




xx
Nikki

Barbara von Enger said...

Summer and the sun rays make us happier, more playful and sweet spirited. Very nice outfit, my lovely;-)

ssmall4 said...

LOL I totally remember that song, ahh I miss it! (tho I appreciated your comment IMMENSELY, sadly, I'm not 20...put 8 years on that!) I really love the boho-feel you gave this outfit.. nothing screams summer like a white dress and awesome sandals

Jess said...

Love how you paired the feminine dress with the denim vest! And I love love love those sandals!

Becca. said...

gorgeous denim waistcoat!

thankyou for the comment on my blog :)
XOXO, BECCA
www.fashion-train.co.uk

Closet Fashionista said...

Oh Will <3 Haha :)
Love your outfit!! :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com

D&D said...

guess what pretty lady?
YOU WON THE EARRINGS!!!!!!
i hope you'll rock them in an outfit post soon. expect an email from Eileen!
xoxox

Unknown said...

That denim vest MAKES the outfit! Love it, I'm with you, not into too girly stuff. Glad it's warming up for you! XO!

Emilie said...

Great outfit!
x

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ah, it's official...I really need a denim vest - LOVE this look! And Will Smith's "Summertime" - I'm in love, I'm in love!! :P

Sher said...

A little white dress is so important for the summer! I adore yours, it looks perfect with that vest and sandals:)

xx

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I love the dress! I love ruffles! The vest looks great with it too! Glad you finally have some warmth down there! L.A. can take some of the heat here anytime ;)

Adele said...

and you looked great! I want to go to Canada!


- Adele
MOLTOCURIOSA.COM

Anonymous said...

What a cute dress! I love it, I want one!

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohhh yes....summer!!! That is one great song:) Your outfit is beautiful,darling:) Love the denim:)
Muah and enjoy your summer day:)

heather said...

Love the ruffles! You wear them well, and the tie in the back of the shoes definitely makes them fun!! I know 98 is hot, but it sounds heavenly!

thingsIlove said...

Thank you for your comments and thank you for following! Love your outfit. You're very pretty. :)

Annie said...

yessssssss that song is CLASSIC. I still enjoy Fresh Prince of Bel Air to this day. lol.

So happy for you it finally warmed up!! hope that cool weather is on its way to my neck of the woods.. it's been 90s and humid for way too long..

augustalolita said...

great outfit!! i thinks its a perfect summer look!!

Diana said...

i almost bought that dress! it looks gorgeous on you :)

visit/follow me!!!

http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

Krislyn said...

absolutely loving the denim vest... great addition to something just white. ever tried denim on denim? i've been itching to get on the trend!

Laura said...

Hey, thanks for popping in at my blog. :)
Nice outfit, I have a denim waist coat very similar which I am in love with at the mo!

L x

http://only-halfdressed.blogspot.com/

Valerie said...

Your white dress is adorable and perfect for a day like today! I walked outside for lunch and It was sunny, warm and FINALLY felt like summer. I literally had a spring in my step for the first time in so long! YAY!!! Enjoy your sunny day, Carrie. :) I hope this is the first of many!

xo
Valerie

Couture Carrie said...

Love that song!

You look gorgeous, darling!

xoxox,
CC

J. said...

I will now have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day haha

And, I just heard of Kim's new man! Arggg...I was hoping it wasn't true :(

Brianna said...

I love the denim vest!!!

Thank you for commenting on/following my blog! I'm so honored!

-Bri

Bren said...

Oh I love that jam! Back when Will Smith was known as the Fresh Prince! lol! Your whole outfit is adorable, but without being too fussy. I think your fab sandals and denim vest, rough up the ruffles, just enough.

Since I'm new to your blog, now I have to go read about the denim debacle! I can only imagine!!

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty

this free bird said...

Bren...buckle your seatbelts and put on the blinders honey. It was a bare bottomed disaster!! My poor bf still hasn't fully recovered and is only just regaining his eyesight. bahahaha!! xo-c

Lilacandgrey said...

I am so mad I never bought that dress :( It looks great on you!
<3

stylenuggets said...

I think you nailed the summer time outfit. The sandals are perfect

Chloë, Wardrobe Quarry said...

The vest is cute, I can't wait till it gets warmer and I can get mine out again.

Thank you sooo much for the sweet comments and for praying for me, it means a lot!

Chloe xo

Unknown said...

i really like the juxtaposition of tough and soft elements in this outfit. so much love! and the shoes look damn fine:)

glad to come across your site!:)

<3
eden

britney jo said...

thanks! i love the dress and added you as well!

Josie said...

I'm loving this look with a passion, doll! What a darling dress -- looks fab on you! And a little Fresh Prince is SUCH a must.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

La Société de Mode | The Fashion Society said...

I'm not much for a 'girly-girl' either, and I think you did a fantastic job of incorporating girly-girly (ruffles) with the jean-jacket and pulled back hair to make it seem more cool/relaxed. Really loving this look! Very LA chic :)

k said...

I wish we could hang too, I have a feeling hilarity would ensue!

TheOnlineStylist said...

In an utter Rachel Zoe moment - I DIE for those shoes!! Love your dress... this would be because I am a bit of a ruffle addict. I can't help it! My 40th party dress was one huge ruffle! Have a great weekend and may the sun continue to shine on you! xx

alli/hooray said...

YAY for warmer weather (and cute outfits like yours!).
PS. I laughed so hard at your cuppie adventures from Diana's cupcake challenge! So cute.

Unknown said...

Love the dress! I agree with Alli/Hooray, I did a lot of laughing at the cuppie post!

bravegrrl said...

great simple and summery look :)

Vanessa and Jana said...

Such a cute dress!
Check out our new TV SHOW!
All the best
Midnight Couture Girls

Andee Layne said...

loving the denim vest! xo

www.andeelayne.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love this outfit...OK, really I love all of your outfits! And, your style!

Kate said...

I looove this outfit! So perfectly summer! The white dress is so pretty, I love the ruffle detail, and love that you edged it up a bit with the denim vest!!

Tanya said...

love the outfit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails