Thursday, July 8, 2010

Convertibles

Have you heard the term convertible used to describe clothing or handbags?  If not, it's basically when you can wear one piece multiple ways - hence, converting it into multiple looks - convertible!  One of my favorite new items is a convertible by Brandy & Melville.  I'm not sure they actually intended for it to be one - but it totally is and I love it.  So here are the 3 separate pieces it represents: 

The Dress


Cute or what?  Check out the slouchy side - love it!  First I put on the standard cami, then a ribbed tank dress to make sure there was no see-through action, and finally threw the slouchy dress (convertible) over top.  Entirely simple outfit that you could easily wear with flip flops for an afternoon beachy vibe or a bit more sassed with a bootie or heel (as seen here) for an early dinner.  It was completely freezing this day, but someday it will warm up and this item will be worn as a dress.  

The Tunic


I think this one's my fave look.  No check that.  It is my fave look.  I love tunics.  They're great with jeans, leggings, shorts or skirts.  They're fun and flexible.  Yes.  this one is it.


Check it up close.  You can pull it up just a little at the bottom so it loses the dress feel, but still covers the butt so it's great with leggings.  I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of the uncovered legging'd butt if there aren't any pockets on the leggings.  I just feel uncomfortable, but that might just be my preference.


And, this particular look is excellent with the military boots.  If fall-like weather is going to persist, I have no choice, but to haul out the fall attire.  At least the fall foot attire.  Hopefully summer will reappear soon :)

The Top


Okay.  Examine it.  First, I must say a wicked breeze had picked up and was blowing straight into me.  All I was thinking was 'get to car and turn on heat stat!'. Otherwise the top version is far more blousy in front and not so, shall we say, sucked into the body.


Much more like this, if you can get a better view from the side.


Or maybe this?  For the win!  Whatever the case, I really do enjoy wearing this as a top as well.  It's great with skinny denim and a heel.  


In this instance all I had to do was throw a little jacket on and we were off to dinner! 

American Apparel has this super cute convertible dress that can be worn seven different ways, Free People has the awesome ruffle skirt that can also be worn as a dress, and check out the Bolu leather backpack that doubles as a messenger bag - it is beautiful!  I'm all over anything that can be worn multiple ways because it makes it much easier on the pocketbook.  And if I really like a particular piece I want to wear it a lot but not be redundant, so a variety of look options is very helpful in that sense too!

How about you - any convertible wearers or lovers out there?  I'd love to get some more ideas!

Dress Outfit Details:  Gap Cami, James Perse Ribbed Dress, Brandy & Melville Dress, Mike & Chris Booties, Alexander Wang Bag, Tom Ford Sunglasses, Melinda Maria Jewelry.
Tunic Outfit Details:  Gap Cami, Brandy & Melville Tunic, Aritzia Leggings, Joie Military Boots, Alexander Wang Bag, Tom Ford Sunglasses, Melinda Maria Jewelry.
Top Outfit Details:  Gap Cami, Brandy & Melville Top, J.Crew Matchstick Denim, Manolo Blahnik Zip Booties, Rebecca Minkoff Studded Rocker, Tom Ford Sunglasses, Dean Davidson Necklace.

57 comments:

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Love the idea of a convertible clothes. I'm afraid I don't have any at the moment. I love the tunic outfit too! Those boots are pure fab too. I must be on the look out now for convertible clothing!

The Red Sole Heels said...

hi nice blog.. i like your shoes...

xoxo from indonesia..
please visit my blog and follow if you like it.. thanks.. have a nice day

Unknown said...

loving the boots xxxx

Anonymous said...

I have an award for you!

SweetHome said...

Love convertible dresses.

TASHA BANKS said...

THOSE BOOTS!!!!

EPIC! LOVELOVELOVE

http://noirxxxx.blogspot.com/

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooh its great!! Such good ways to wear it!! :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Adele said...

Great job! You look fabulous!!

- Adele
MOLTOCURIOSA.COM

erica said...

Absolutely in love with those boots! Love the top and think I need it in my life! Seriously you are too fab for words and so gorgeous!

xo

Jess said...

Love this! I especially love it as a tunic!

xoxo

J. said...

Oh I'm so with you on Ali and the leggings thing - she needs to peace out and I always feel like you can see my butt through leggings! haha

PS - love all 3 looks...you look like a celebrity with the sunglasses!

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Louise (Fifth Sparrow) said...

I love pieces that have more than one function, it makes your wardrobe so much easier! And those boots are amazing!! Looking lovely hun!

p.s I SO agree with you on the leggings, I find it awkward when they're worn as pants... so not appropriate!

Ms. Emmy N said...

So cute! Love it with as a tunic, and those boots rock! VS has a cute convertible wrap in the catalogue..

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

Fabulous!! I love the convertible idea {of course!}. I want to include you in the Remix Wrap Up tomorrow. Mind if I use a picture or two with your link?

Nikki said...

I love your whole outfit!



xx
Nikki

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous convertible look, darling Carrie!

xoxox,
CC

D&D said...

zip booties? how very chic.

Diana Mieczan said...

Your boots rock,girl and the top is so cute! You have an amazing style:) Kisses and have a lovely Thursday!

Unknown said...

so cool! i love convertibles of all kinds ;) you look fab!

Valerie said...

What a great top/tunic/dress, Carrie! My favorite is the tunic too, but I love it every way you wore it. And those military boots are awesome! So edgy and fun.

I have a very important question for you. I'm back on J Crew's website stalking your pink studded shorts and I think they have my size now! They're final sale, so I wanted to see if you thought they ran true to size and what the fit's like. Let me know when you have a chance! Hope you have a great day!

xo
Valerie

Marcie said...

I LOVE this dress/top. The color and slouchy feeling is so California laid back (the look I go for every weekend). I also love the layering with the white tank underneath, again another thing I do most weekends. Lastly, that necklace is amazing!

Great post, Carrie! I need that top/dress now :).

xo Marcie

Anna Walker said...

I love convertible clothes! They seem to make life easier and they leave more room the closet for more clothes! :)

k said...

I love this!!!! And your buy a watch and eat chocolate comment made me laugh, thanks :) :)

Angela said...

very nice. There is this piece by Issey Miyaki that does the same thing.

Leah Brunner said...

I love having items that are so versatile! Great dress

Samira said...

The boots and shoes :D Love love love!!!

http://fashionira.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I'm loving this convertible idea! I like that it can be a tunic, dress, and a shirt, and all actually look lovely on you!

Gorgeous Glam said...

This is great! I do that with dresses all the time! I'll put a blazer and black leggings on with sky high shoes and cinch it with a colorful belt and you've got fabulousness! xoxo

Unknown said...

PS I live in Pennsylvania! It's so weird that SoCal is experiencing cold weather and PA is getting ridiculously hot!

BusyB said...

how cute!!! love what you did! I also need my butt covered in leggings...just feels weird if not!

alli/hooray said...

love it! you have me convinced that I need one now :)

Maria at Bachman's Sparrow said...

Cute! You are adorable :)

xoxo Maria

Nadia said...

Tunic is my fave as well, and I hear you on the leggings butt! xo

erica said...

PS are you kidding me with the clothes? Seriously your top was crazy cute, and I would honestly love to have it. I can't wait for them to come here! I have never seen anything like that before F21 is in for a rude awakening and I love it!

xo

Valerie said...

Thanks for getting back to me Carrie! I got them!!! I hope they fit because there's no turning back now. ;) Can't wait to wear them! Thanks for introducing me to them.

xo
Valerie

PhotoPuddle said...

Great top. I love clothes like this. Especially long t-shirts you can have long to wear over leggings then fold up to go with jeans.

Joyti said...

Very cute outfit(s). I really like convertible clothes, I like things you can wear in different ways, and for different occasions. The tunic/dress/shirt is a great example of that - yours is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

love it. it's a really practical way to re-use and re-style your own clothes :D

Style, She Wrote said...

Love the convertible dress/tunic/top! Very smart buy and it looks great with, well, everything.

Anonymous said...

How cool are those boots!! xo

Irene's Beautyblog said...

Carrie you are so beautiful! Thank you for your lovely comment. Btw the comment about my profile pic looking like Taylor swift I get it all the time when people look at that pic.

Also, I love drinking tea as well! :)

xoxo,
Irene

Lori said...

These are just fun ~ there is nothing better than a piece of clothing that has multiple purposes! I will be sure to take loads of pics and you can betcha that there will be some blender drink shots and I will work my magic in getting them into pink & green Thursday!

Anonymous said...

how come you make those boots look so easily awesome? I wear mine and just look stupid, I'm convinced. Love all these looks; perfection.

Kristen said...

You look smokin' hot! I love both outfits!

Bring Pretty Back said...

Carrie, I just love your fashion shows!!!!!!!! You look fabulous in every single photo!
What fun!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Kerri said...

did not know that term for convertible! love the top-

Fashion-Guide said...

I like it post.
The boots fore hanting? And ure heeg heels fore anting on...... men too. lol
The cosmopolitang girl alll time on unting in City Djingl. lol



Мне нравится этот пост.
Ботинки для охоты? И высокие каблуки тоже для охоты на мужчин.
Современная девушка всегда на охоте в городских джунглях. ха ха

FRWL From Russia Wit Love

stylenuggets said...

I'm with you on the covering-the-butt-wearing-leggings thing! Love the tunic on you. Hadn't looked at it like that. Will have to re-think it!

ilovemyhouse said...

Hi, and thanks for beconing my new follower. I will follow you too. Desperate in need of a woman with great style who inspires me on the fashion front. Since leaving the fashion industry i became a bit sloppy i'm afraid. XX

Natalie Suarez said...

your shoes are awesome! i love them :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

charmaine said...

Carrie,
you need your own boutique! Honey your style is fabulous and you look beautiful! I love those military boots and the skinny denim jeans. You just taught me something new, I can honestly say, I never knew about the "Convertible" term. I know the tunic is too cute with a pair of leggings. This look is versatile indeed, thanks for sharing! Love the color too! Talk soon!

God Bless,
Charmaine

luna said...

love the boots, very cool
Brick and Bones

xxx

BridalHood said...

Ummmm...how hot is the tunic?!?!?

Kate said...

Ooh, love it as a dress best! Super cute! And really love the last pair of shoes, too!

TheOnlineStylist said...

That is such a great idea - I love it worn as the dress best. You have such great style - those boots are amazing! I found you via Lou, Boo's and Shoes - fantastic blog! x

She Wore It Well said...

I adoreeeeeeeeeeeeee those zip up booties! sigh! perfection!

liz said...

I can't even pick my favorite! Wow I love convertible items :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails