Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Fourth Thus Far...Ebelskiver'd and Peach'd

Greetings everyone!  To those of you in the United States - hope you are having a most wonderful 4th of July...and to others far and wide I hope your weekend has been a relaxing one.

The Chef and I have been out and about visiting some of our favorite restaurants, taking in the local sights and indulging in a movie or two.  It's been a great few days off so far and we're looking forward to grilling up some goodness this afternoon.  The fireworks have been going off like crazy in the neighborhood, but no random fires yet!  Whew!! Last night we started to plan and prepare the menu for today's festivities...apparently the cats decided to send a message that this is their day too because I was greeted by a random chicken wing at the cat dish this morning. 


So much for taking out the trash out before bed.  Oops!  Luckily that wing was not on today's menu.

We started out this morning with a red, white and blue breakfast treat to get in the Independence Day mood.  Have you heard of or do you own the Ebelskiver Pan?  Nordic Ware is the maker of this glorious little pan, and Williams-Sonoma is a fine distributor of it.


I have a firm rule regarding gifts:  do not show up with a household item.  Unless it's a Shark Steamer or an Ebelskiver pan.  When I opened this thing on Christmas morning it was a moment.  We busted out the gluten-free pancake batter and got right to it.  Ebelskivers are fluffy little filled pancakes (Denmark born) - they can be filled with anything your heart desires from fruit and jams to cheese and veggies.  My favorite dessert ebelskivers are filled with chocolate or fruit - and for dinner I love to whip up a few using different cheeses and minced jalapeno.  Delicious.   This morning we opted for fresh strawberry filled and garnished with powdered sugar, blueberries, raspberries and whipped cream.


It's a non-stick pan, but we begin by dotting each area with a bit of butter - Paula Deen style.  Then we fill each circle about a quarter to a third with pancake batter (this morning we added a tablespoon of powdered sugar to the batter). 


As the batter sets you can add your favorite flavors.  Here are ours with the fresh strawberries.  Mmmmm.  See how they are beginning to separate from the sides of the pan?


Next you cover them with a smidge of the batter to encase the filling.  Not too much or they are difficult to turn.  They're a little tricky to flip, but don't freak out if they slop around a bit - as you turn them successively, the batter is captured.


Here they are flipped - see how there's just a little on the edges around each circle?  No big deal.


And here's the final plated product.  We basically piled them on the plate, sprinkled powdered sugar and berries over top, and added a dollop of whipped cream to complete.  Yikes were they ever good!  I even pulled out the summertime beach plates even though we basically ate surrounded by fog yet again this morning.  Argh.


Here's a final close up.  I highly recommend this pan (and obviously this particular choice of toppings!).  It is great for mixing up day-to-day meals, but also is so fun to have handy on special days like today or even for birthdays and must-needed chocolate rendezvous' with the girlfriends. 

While I'm typing this post to you, the Chef is finishing up in the kitchen and getting the grill going for our afternoon.  He is a big fan of cocktails and came up with a special one to enjoy throughout the day today while all the screaming woooohooooooo'ers go off in the neighborhood.  I've already sampled one and think you will enjoy.  This one's for you Shannan!

Long Island Peach Iced Tea 
Ingredients
Peach Syrup
2     Peaches
1C  Sugar
1C  Water

Drink
.5oz  Tequila
1 oz  Gin
.5oz  Rum
.5oz   Peach Schnapps
Splash of Triple Sec
.5oz  Orange Juice
.25oz Lime Juice
.25oz Lemon Juice
Coke or Pepsi to top
1oz   Peach Syrup
2ea   Peach wedges from syrup

To make the syrup first cut peaches into wedges. Place them in a large bowl - including the pits.


Next, combine sugar and water in a pot and bring to a boil for 1 minute.


After a minute, pour the mixture over the peaches - the heat from the liquid infuses the flavor into the syrup. 


Let this stand until cooled and place in the fridge until ready to use.

Cocktail
Begin by placing two wedges from the syrup into the bottom of your glass.  Fill 3/4 to the top with ice.


Next, pour in all the remaining ingredients except the cola.


Add the cola until the color looks like tea, and then stir to combine.


Complete your cocktail by garnishing with a lemon wheel and another peach wedge.


Ta-da!!  I have to say that adult flavored lemonades are my favorites and I tend to stay in my comfort zone with them or a sangria.  There was a hint of leery when he brought up this idea, but I'm really glad I decided to suck it up and take a chance.  These will be the perfect side to any barbecue today - or throughout the summer.  Speaking of which, the sun is out so I am going to get out of here and take it in.  Happy 4th of July everyone!! xoxo - Carrie

40 comments:

Annastasia said...

HUUUUUUUUUUMMMM YUM YUM

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th, Carrie! I always look at that pan in the Williams Sonoma catalog and wondered if it would be hard to use ~ my daughter is looking over my shoulder & saying, "Oh, that looks good, can we make those?" Looks like I will be getting the pan in the future! xo

Nancy Cox said...

Carrie I love Ebelskivers! I am part Danish and my Mom and Grandma would make Ebelskivers for special holidays! I love the idea of the dessert ones. (We never had those) I think having the fruit and a little chocolate inside would be yummy!! Thanks for sharing these ideas!

Closet Fashionista said...

Oooh looks tasty!
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Kinder said...

Um. Yumm! I could come for breakfast and stay for afternoon drinks!

Chloë, Wardrobe Quarry said...

MMM wow, amazing.

Lori said...

Looks delish!! This pan is fantastic ~ I may need to put one on my Christmas list this year!!

Gorgeous Clara said...

every thing looks delicious

Kristen said...

It all looks soooo yummy! I hope your are having a wonderful 4th!

Jesa said...

Oh wow-YUM!!! This looks delish!!!

and lol at the Cat! heh!

Cheer, Jesa

Barbara von Enger said...

It's already Monday so happy belated 4th, my lovely. Hmmm, that looks far too divine. Seriously, I might try and make that for friends at th weekend;-)

Lou said...

Hi Carrie - this looks wonderful...perfect...scrummy. Hope you and the chef had a nice time, Lou x

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Carrie, this all looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipes so we can create our own deliciousness!

Unknown said...

wow im hungry they look fabulous xxxx

Emilie said...

It looks delicious!
x

J. said...

Oh wowwww that looks amazing! It's like a funnel cake on steroids haha.

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Fé... said...

OMG, Carrie. You come all the way here and specially elaborate for me the recipes and how to. Gosh, I'm so flattered by your sweetness. Thank you so much, you're such a darling! I think I'm starting to learn how to cook now, that I'm following your blog :)

and flowers pick themselves said...

thanks for sharing all this loveliness! that iced tea sounds amazing.

xo Alison

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a lovely fourth! Mine was spent lifeguarding all day (it was insanely hot!), but it turned out to be pretty fun as there were activities for the members going on! And it followed with some of my neighbor's BBQ and a card game at night!
Ah and those Ebelskivers are the most delicious, cute looking pieces of food ever!

Becca [Free Honey] said...

I've never heard of a ebelskiver until this very moment, but now I can't wait to try one. I'll admit that I'm addicted to all things Williams & Sonoma, so I have no idea how this one slipped by me. Yummmm!! They look scrumptious and so picture perfect.

stylenuggets said...

That looks really yum.
I've passed on a blog award to you.
Enjoy!

Diana Mieczan said...

I so need a pan like that...I am showing it right now to Balazs ( he is the one who cooks) ...Yummy:)
Have a wonderful Monday,sweetie and see you soon!
Kisses

Unknown said...

Uhhh Yum! Oh and thanks so much for finding the bensimons! I'm still torn between the on-sale Piperlimes or the full-price red ones. Either way those shoes rock!

xx Cristina

Josie said...

I DESPERATELY want one of these sweet little pans now! Your Ebelskivers look positively delicious! I so want to try making them with raspberries!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Mmm looks fab, all of it! ALSo you have a blog award awaiting you on mine:-)

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

Holy hell you ate like a queen yesterday!!! Everything is so beautiful and out of a magazine, happy, happy 4th! :) I'm glad you got out in the sun :)

Miles Of Style said...

This looks delish. Thanks for sharing!

Just stumbled across your blog via Inspired Design and I love it.

Please drop by mine too when you have some time...maybe we can follow each other. =)

Persis.
www.onestylemile.blogspot.com

She Wore It Well said...

Oh yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I LOVE dutch pancakes, I always get them at the market, but I've never managed to find a pan. I wonder if I can hunt one down!!!

Hope you've had a fab 4th of July - bummer about the non existant summer!!! xx

Poppies and Sunshine said...

My mouth is watering now! Omg, that looks like the most amazing breakfast ever. And the drink looks delicious! I am seriously going to go to the fridge now. I have nothing that even compares to this, but I have to eat something now. I hope you had a great 4th!!

Nicole said...

Oh man I have to have that pan! I didn't know something like that existed, but i just watched the video on the williams-sonoma website and can't wait to get one! Thanks for sharing and giving me ideas to spend our wedding money! ;) I'm sure Danny won't mind! haha

erica said...

I have been wanting to get one of those pans forever, but never can justify the cost of one. I'd rather buy shoes I guess lol. Your Ebelskivers look absolutely amazing though. That drink looks divine as well.

xo

k said...

I need this pan for sure. Can you imagine putting Nutella in them??? Also...you know you're a lush when you automatically check to see if a drink recipe has alcohol in it before you continue reading...oh my :)

merciblahblah said...

Oooooooh, mama. I don't know if you're going to get this comment, because Blogger seems to be acting a FOOL today, but thank you for the shout out and the drinkie poo. Haven't tried it yet. You have to check me own humble bloggity-ogg - I posted links to a coupla recipes I made myself this weekend. I'm giving Chef a run for his money!
Mwah!
Merci,
Shannan

Alicia Lund said...

Oh I've had Ebelskivers and they are delicious!!! And that peach iced tea cocktail sounds delightful too! What a wonderful 4th of July! :)

Unknown said...

oh my goodness they look so delicious!! i've never made them but i know my dad loves them, i think i'll give your recipe a try! yum!

Louise (Fifth Sparrow) said...

Oh geeze!! Now I'm hungry AND thirsty! This is such a delicious post!

BrooklynBlonde said...

you KILL me with your food & drink posts! KILL!...
everything looks so amazing.

Thanks for the wishes on my engagement!!! :)

alli/hooray said...

The chicken wing by the cat dish - so funny :)

And I could eat those Ebelskivers every day for breakfast, they look amazing!

Ahn said...

wow. yum this looks good. can't wait to try it.

charmaine said...

Wow, Carrie that looks sooooooooo good! You know I saw this little Danish treasure while watching a special about Solvang. You know that little cute resort town here in California. They were whipping these little things left from right. They used these long skinny sticks, kinda of like chop sticks to flip them. I've been meaning to get one of these. Now you have convinced me to do so. That dish looks beautiful and delicious! Love the drink too. Will have to make this one! Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
Charmaine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails