Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thrifting With a Burn

This past Saturday was one of the first nice beach days we've had in SoCal this summer.   We drove off in the afternoon to lay out and get some much needed zzzz's.  I put on my 85 block just in case.  I put on a lot.  Did I mention I put on a lot?  Yeah.  Just wanted to make sure you knew I put on a lot.

 Yes I just outed my sunscreen that has been highly effective on several other occasions.

As we walked back to the car approximately 2 hours later I told the Chef I didn't think I had gotten much color.  However within 1 hour of leaving the beach we were dealing with the onset of Sunburn 2010 that resulted in the downing of litres of water, a bunch of advil, and a gangload of barbecue while we screamed the remainder of the day away in pain.  Shudder.

Amidst the chernobyl skin disaster, I dimly recalled the UPS man delivering a package on Friday.  At some point I hobbled over to examine its contents.  Remember my self-professed love for the bubble skirt?  Well I would like to thank you J.Crew for sale + an additional 20% off.  "Welcome home Friend," I said to it in Nancy Grace's friend voice.  Saturday gave way to Sunday where I could be found in very loose fitting clothing, spun out on advil (move over lindsay lohan) and slathered in aloe vera to ward off pain and distant peeling, all up in Anthropologie trying to pretend I was "just looking" while really seeking a belt in order to mask the elasticized waistband of new skirt friend.  So much for self-imposed wallet restriction.


That's not me at Anthropologie.  That's me in my bubble and one of the new belts longingly looking into, what I believe may be, a jackpot thrift shop.  I've always wanted to learn the ins and outs of productive and effective thrifting.  Suffice it to say I have not been successful to date.  It doesn't help one hone one's nonexistent skills when the store's closed either, thanks.


It did, however, afford me the opportunity to look closely into the window without having to fear going in and being identified as the obvious non-experienced thrifter extraordinaire. I have to say, on another note, that I am in love with my new bubble.


Look at it up close.  It's made out of chino so it retains a bit of crunch and, therefore, structure even after it's been worn awhile.  The brilliant minds at J.Crew put a tiny stitch in front and back mid-way up the skirt to give it that twisted and slightly disheveled look I love.  Paired with a simple James Perse crew neck it was ready to go.


The belt I scored at Anthropologie saves the skirt from being bo-rang by adding a zip of bad ass with the hammered silver buckle.  


It's the pull around and clasp style that was so popular in the 80's and 90's.  Welcome back other friend.

As I've said before I am uncomfortable in overly girly clothing so always looking for ways to take a feminine item and put my own spin on it.  In this case the accessories saved the day.  In addition to the belt, the rings, bracelet and shoes tied it all together keeping it feminine with a little edge.

 Dear J.Crew, you just won't quit will you?  Got this gem last year on drastic sale 
and just found it stuffed in a drawer.  
I love when that happens.  $100 bills are you out there??

Thanks again to Seventh Door and Corks and Caftans for hosting the fantastic bracelet giveaway I won!  I've been sleeping in this mother since it arrived.

Dear Steve Madden:  usually I am anti-knockoff but when Loeffler Randall sold out of this version last year you saved me from having to purchase my weight in Kleenexes.  Pass.  Love, Carrie

So anyway, what you can't tell is that I was writhing in pain during this expedition whereby we were driving en route to somewhere else when I hollered out THRIFT almost sending the Chef over the edge as we barreled around the corner only to discover the place was closed as I stared longingly into the window at what I highly suspect is a Marimekko lamp that is likely out of my price range while hipsters far and wide walked by looking at me like I was from outer space. 


Oh hipsters - I have lots of black in my closet, too.  And old army boots and plaid shirts.  And dirty fedoras that look like a Mac Truck ran them over, like, 7000 times or something.   I love dirt.


So at some point I just admitted defeat and took my burn back to the car and left.  You will not evade me thrifting.  Someday I will understand you.  Until then...

Outfit details:  Tom Ford Sunglasses, James Perse Crew Neck T, J.Crew Bubble Skirt, Anthropologie Belt, Melinda Maria Ring, J.Crew Ring, Seventh Door Bracelet, Steve Madden Shoes.

69 comments:

Unknown said...

your skirt looks fabulous and were wearing the same nail polish xxxx

jemina said...

You have a way with words Carrie, keep on posting!!! and keep on slathering those aloe gel and stay fabulous my friend :)), LOVE LOVE, Jemina, xoxo

Anonymous said...

thx for dropping by and introducing my to your lovely blog..will be following..greets!

Abby said...

Totally love that skirt and the belt and the whole outfit! I have a lot of black. I love wearing black. I second the aloe vera advice. It makes your skin feel cool.

Thanks for your comment, btw. And I'm so sorry that your best friend lost her mom.

She Wore It Well said...

Bummer about the sunburn, but hoorah for summer weather!! xx

Lynzy said...

That skirt is so GORGEOUS!! I wish I didn't miss the sale :(


xo Lynzy
http://fromskirtstoskillets.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

sounds like fun!
I love your skirt btw,

http://squishingmushrooms.blogspot.com/

Nikki said...

Carrie, your posts are always hilarious!

You look gorgeous in your new bubble skirt!

I need to see if J.Crew is still having a sale!!


xx

Nikki

Emilie said...

Lovely skirt!

Jess said...

You are so dang cute! I love that outfit from head to toe. Especially that belt.

xo

TheOnlineStylist said...

ooh that sunburn sounds really awful - hope you're all better now. I love, love, love that skirt - just gorgeous on you. In fact the entire outfit is fab. I so need to get into thrifting - am an utter thrifting virgin! xxx

merciblahblah said...

Skirt? Need. I was just drooling over a J. Crew bubble online the other day. Your legs? Hawt. Humor? Off the charts.

Mwah!
Shan

Diana Mieczan said...

Im so in love with your shoes and that amazing belt:) Awww...you have such a great style:)
Kisses,sweetie and have a fun day:)

ps: I am hosting a great GIVEAWAY, so please join in:) ...I bet you will love it!!!

Sher said...

Aww, poor you, I hope the burn ease up soon!

And what a delightful bubble skirt that is! Sadly I've not one bubble skirt in my closet, maybe it's time to go out and get one:)

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

LOVE your skirt! Absolutely adorbs... your whole outfit is so great!! Love your blog :)

xxMK
Delightful Bitefuls

Marcie said...

Look at you skinny minnie! I just love this outfit! That skirt is amazing, from the color to the bubble skirt. I just love bubble skirts!

Sunburns really are the worst, and your description makes me laugh. It is so true!

xo Marcie

Cafe Fashionista said...

Gah, I really need your ring! I too have always wanted to be an effective thrifter; sadly, I don't know the first thing about it, and am always worried that I'll end up with something utterly useless. I think we need a guide. :P

Ms. Emmy N said...

Love the whole entire outfit! That skirt is just adorable, and the belt works perfectly - definitely not too girly! Sorry about the burn...they always sneak up when you think you got no color at all!

Kinder said...

Love your skirt! You are just too cute!

Leia said...

Your outfit is gooorgeous! I love everything, especially the ring and those shooooes. I'm terrible at thrifting :(

Leia's Delights

http://freshonpr.blogspot.com/ said...

i love your shoes.
great style.
Nicola freshONpr

ssmall4 said...

I love that skirt, and the belt you paired with it is just KILLER. Sorry about the burn :( .. but ya look fantastic!! =)

Fashion and Beauty Lights said...

Carrie this outfit is fantastic and I so envy your anthropology belt! I always want to get one, but never have the courage to spend that much $ on a belt but I guess they are totally worth it!

Also, aaww you got a sunburn even with an spf of 85? I hate sunburns, they just make me look like a tomatoe and after few days my skin starts peeling like a rotten potatoe HATE THEM!

Kisses,
Irene

Amie said...

Hi neighbor! Thanks for the kind words.
1. I fixed my computer (sort of), but am still hating it. Is it sad that I get more done at work in my personal life than at home?
2. I'm pretty happy that I didn't burn, but bummed that I didn't even get a little tan. I've got this crazy strange tan line from falling asleep on the beach with running shorts (the spandex kind) and it looks like I have shorts on even when I don't. No bueno. I was hoping to even it out on Sunday, but no luck.
3. I LOVE ebelskivers! My parents used to have one and it was AMAZING. I'll definitely be trying out for that one. (and it totally didn't sound whack)
4. I am so, so, SO jealous that you're dating a chef. It's no fair!! My bf is barely starting to learn how to boil water and he's perfected sandwiches and over-easy eggs...but that's about it. Baby steps.

Glad you found my blog, and glad I found yours! :)

Jessica said...

Ugh, I hope your burn is feeling better! I can't believe you were that toasty after that much sunscreen. I slathered on SPF 85 during my Miami vacation a couple of years ago and returned to Wisconsin just as pale as when I left. I didn't imagine sun could really penetrate it!

And you're the second stylish gal to sport that Anthro belt this week - it's not helping my self restraint.

Next time I hope you're more successful in your thrifting adventure. You have such a great eye that I'd love to see what you bring home!

J. said...

I like to pretend that I'm really good at thrifting and finding good deals, but for some reason I don't think that just telling your mom you got it on sale counts :/ ah whatevs...I prefer to live in a dream world of fake sales and everlasting spray tans.

Valerie said...

Oh, Carrie. I love your two new friends. In fact, I just saw that belt and Anthropologie and wanted it! It looks perfect with the skirt. I'm the same way about thrifting. I've gone a few times with friends, but I never know what I'm doing! But I want to get into it because I'm dying to get a fabulous deal on a vintage something or other and pay only $10 for it! :)

xo
Valerie

Daniela said...

love your belt and ring!

http://detcetera.blogspot.com

{tig} said...

finally a quick moment to catch up on comments and thanks so much for yours! such a fun post and outfit and also quite the like the lacy garden furniture in the background :)

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

Haha yes, someday!!! Thrifting is a staple for me. A lot of stores seem to be closed on Sundays and Mondays. I always check out accessories first, then go to the dresses. Then from there I might check out tops. I like to wear the accessories around while shopping for other things to make sure they are comfortable.

Unknown said...

I always love your style...and today, its your new belt that I am obsessed over!

this free bird said...

Zhush my love - that belt was well within budgetary range at a mere $42! Not the cheapest belt, but most certainly not $100 - $200 like so many others I've seen. yahoooo-sers Anthropologie!!

Anonymous said...

I love your outfit! Great blog, following you now :)

Joyti said...

Really cute outfit.
Its cold here in SF...I have my thermostat at 74 and the heater switched on this morning. Boo.

BrooklynBlonde said...

You look GORGEOUS!!! I love the entire outfit, right down to the accessories!!

OneCraftyFox said...

Hey gorgeous! What a great outfit, and your pics are fun!! You don't look burnt to me, maybe I need to adjust the color on my monitor.... oooh, there we go... that's more like it...lol ;)

Karolina Pansevic said...

great outfit! i love your ring and shoes! :)

Nadia said...

Aww, take care of that burn!

Absolutely love your outfit. Super cute :)

Welcome said...

Love the outfit and loved how you described everything, with your little story!! And thanks for the sunblock info! Love Neutrogena!! PS. that skirt rocks...

XOXO
kiki

STYLE'N said...

Hi. Just found your blog and it's great. Love your bubble skirt! I got a similar belt but I had to return it b/c it kept popping off! anway-look forward to checking out the rest of your blog.

Jen said...

Damn girl, you're lookin' hot!! Love everything about your outfit... the skirt, your hair pulled back, the big sunglasses. Rock it girl, rock it!

The Red Sole Heels said...

looove your shoes!

Unknown said...

Carrie, you crack me UP! I love your blog, hil-arious! I had a similar sunburn experience back in May, "awww, crap, I didn't get any sun at all." Whoops! Loved this post, skirt is darling! XO!

stylenuggets said...

Nice long post. Cracked up reading it. Hope the sunburn's better. I use Neutrogena's SPF 75 all the time. Hope it doesn't stop working one day. Jealous of your belt and heels!

Jesson Balaoing said...

gorgeous outfit!

Josie said...

Neutrogena is my LIFE. 75% of my daily makeup and skincare products are by them. Anyhow, you look absolutely stunning -- loving the bubble skirt!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Jesa said...

I'm like a crazy person with the sun-block-ALL ABOUT IT ;)

Love those shoes chica!!

Cheers, Jesa :)

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Sorry about the sunburn. I have a bad sunburn too. I was hoping to get a tan but all I got was a really painful sunburn. Oh well. Anyway, I love your bubble skirt. It is cute and he details on that belt is really pretty. Lately I've been really into bubble skirts and bubble dresses with cute little pockets on the side. =)

Bren said...

OMG...I love this post! ahahaha! Your new skirt friend is adorable, as is that ring! I have that belt too and love it! Breaks up my emo black. :)
As for thrifting...I have no idea what I'm doing either. Totally lost.

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty

Anna Walker said...

I love your outfit! So cute and simple and amazing! You're my fashion inspiration!

April said...

You look great! And I'm sure you can go back sometime soon and see if it really is a great thrift store!

Unknown said...

carrie, you always look so freaking cute...i can't even stand it! i mean, if i looked that good amidst a severe sunburn, i would just take up modeling now (even at the ripe age of 25).

and, i am going to google your shoes, like NOW.

xx,
anna jane

Books&Jewels said...

ur outfit is super cute! love the ring

Unknown said...

amazing outfit



xoxo

the red bungalow said...

lol. I wear that same sunblock! And yes, I promise I will post some pix of those jackets eventually. Honestly they feel amazing on, like butter. lol.

And can I say that ring of yours is simply UH-mazing? Really adore it.

Bre @ http://theredbungalow.blogspot.com

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

You look waaay better than I ever have attempting to go thrifting! Everything you had on looks adorable...but I have to say, your nails in that pink look s-kute!!

Teresa Tran said...

that is a crazy belt ! i love it

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

hahahah, sounds like a thrifting extravaganza!!! I love it, I do believe you will get it down. Enough about thrifting... can we talk about how freaking cute you look!! I am with you: i love when i see badass elements to a frilly outfit. Your outfit in these pictures is seriously divinity. I want to see more!!! Glad you and Chef had a fun day :)

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...

Thanks for stopping by...I just love your little ensemble, it is tres chic! I'm digging on your ring too, I myself am a jewelry junky.

k said...

hahahaha Chernobyl skin disaster...oh my gosh - that cracked me up!!!!!

k said...

p.s....my face burnt so badly once while I was skiing in colorado over two days - that it was yellow almost and peeling and a lady said to me, "oh my gosh! that is going to scar!" which sent me in to hysterics and i had to go to the dermatologist - then had to put vinegar compresses on my face every half hour. it was awesome, i tell you. lesson learned! and also, i didn't even know there was an 85%. is there a 100%???

alli/hooray said...

fun fun post, and LOVE the skirt. laughed out loud at the Nancy Grace reference :)

anna bu said...

love the shoes+skirt!

bisous
bu


http://justbuit.blogspot.com

Cristiana C said...

I love the belt and the outfit!
your blog is lovely!!
http://obsessedwithglamour.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love your fashion taste.
The trick to thrifting is to know what is old but is in style now. Also if its a good price and you like it then buy it. If it turns out to be something you never use at least you didnt spend a fortune on it. Look closely at the item. I recently bought a bracelet only to realize many of the pearls are missing.

Anonymous said...

holy comments... you are a celeb, you blogger you. You look freaking adorable here. And tiny. I love that skirt; I got some short khaki JCrew thingy on wipeout sale but it's not a bubble and it's also not normal. You win! oh bad sunburn!! bad! I got 2nd degree burns on my stomach a month or so ago; it was the worst experience ever. Horrid. Terrible. That 85 on that there bottle might as well just have a ";)" after it.

Bridget said...

that outfit is adorable.

Fé... said...

Your outfit is gorgeous! I'm loving it!

Kelly Leigh said...

Love this! I am working on honing my thrifting skills too! Let me know if u master it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails