Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pause. Rewind. Reflect

I'm back, I'm alive and I'm grateful.  If you've been keeping up on twitter or facebook then you've heard brief blurbs here and there, but this is the first real moment I've had to sit down and put a post together since my parents left this morning.  So much and yet so little has gone on in the six brief days they spent with me in Southern California.  I guess I'll start at the beginning.

Last wednesday evening I rolled into my usual hair salon for a color job.  Three hours later I rolled out with orange roots...think not far off the "publish post" button on blogger.  Can you say gong show?  My scalp was on fire and I was spent.  What was supposed to be a routine touch up ended up a total sh*t show when someone decided to inject their two cents into my INOA treatment.  Suffice it to say I went home, finished cleaning until 3am and returned to the salon by 10am for correction.  By noon I was at LAX chasing down some poor woman who had half a mile of toilet paper trailing behind her shoe as she exited the restroom while I waited for my mom.  All in a day's work, I guess.

After dropping bags and still being a mite bit stunned and somewhat choked up that my parents were actually visiting me in SoCal (it's been over 10 years and my dad's never been) we headed over to the Chef's new restaurant so they could take a peek through the doors.  

He's just waiting on the final papers to begin construction...exciting!
My family loves food so it's tough to actually tell who is more excited.  hehe
From there we indulged in mad amounts of Mexican food - this is only one stop -, and took in a few
 sights before heading back to my place to get some rest.  Famous last words.

For whatever reason I stayed up late that night.  Just as I was about to turn off the television I slipped quickly past the news and learned about the tsunami.  It took my breath away as I sat for over two hours in a total state of shock.  By 2am they had listed my neighborhood with a potential arrival time should it hit the west coast, and they were recommending evacuation.  

My parents live on a farm.  My dad has only been to California a handful of times in his life and doesn't like the idea of earthquakes.  Now I had to tell him about Japan, as well as the possibility of backlash in the west?  Jesus take the wheel.  I'll keep it brief and say a bit of panic swept through my home.  Thankfully I have the best of friends a bit inland who are really like my family here.  Their daughter goes to UH and they already had been texting me about her evacuation plans, so we were able to go to their place and wait it out.  Thankfully nothing rolled in, but to say it was a nerve wracking experience is an underestimation - only exacerbated by footage of the all out devastation in Japan.  

It was here that this visit changed.  I had been wound up wanting them to have a boat load of fun and really like it here.  My focus shifted to sheer gratitude that we were together period.  The next few days consisted of more food, a wonderful trip to Palm Springs to visit some of my parents' friends who winter there, a great stay in a fun hotel, and getting some rad pics of my dad standing on the shore of the Pacific Ocean.  Here's a photo montage if you're still reading along.

mmmmmmcheese
Winter Kate
Road Trip
Palm Springs
Hotel
My Dad and the Chef
I said "act lively" - um, okay Chef - hahaha!
Feet in sand
The Original Cat Whisperer

I swear my dad wore all kinds of clothes, but I never seemed to catch him in anything other than this.  Woops!  Anyway I'll cut it short with the pictures, but am so tempted to post the one of him darting off in a jog across the sand calling out, "get one of me doing the fitness thing like everyone else around here."  I swear I almost peed my pants laughing - it was so awesome. 

Here's to getting back into the swing of things, although I'm not sure how any of us can do that with all of the trauma and chaos in Japan.  My heart bleeds for the country and its people.  This trip with my parents was quick, but it seemed to go by in a slow haze because we can't stop thinking about it - this could happen to any of us.  Have you helped out?  I'm going to give to the Red Cross here and here, but would also like to hear if you know of other ways we could help out.  Thanks everyone - hope you're all hanging in there.

57 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a trip for your parents! Thank goodness you were all safe, together, and found a lot to enjoy in a few days.

this free bird said...

Katie I can't wait to get caught up on your birthday extravaganza. I've been thinking about you so much and know you killed it!

Yes it was quite the inaugural trip for my dad. My mom was freaked too, but the whole thing could have been so much worse. I feel so bad for the people of Japan.

Talk soon sister!
Carrie

Josie said...

Thank you for providing Red Cross links, Carrie -- it's so important to help out. I'm glad that your parents had a good visit despite the slight disaster.... And I'm of course so glad that you're all safe.
xo Josie

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I am glad you had a nice time with your parents! And I am so grateful everyone is okay in California.
I hope this is the last of this disaster.

xoxo

this free bird said...

Amen to that one Shawna. I couldn't agree and hope more. Very scary especially in light of what we see overseas.

and ps-so good to hear from you Josie. We were fortunate not to get anything other than a little scared. The people of Japan really need us - even if we can only give a little each- it will all add up :)

She Wore It Well said...

It's like both of my flooding experiences all over again.

xxx

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] said...

I'm so glad you had fun with your family! My dad is coming to visit me in France, and I can't wait!!!

Laura said...

GOodness!! what a trip for your fam! - I'm so glad it ended up being great and everyone was ok :) My heart too goes out for the people in Japan.. so horrible :(

xoxo

k said...

I know, I was staying posted on your area, I'm glad things went well and that you ended up having an amazing time with them, your dad sounds like a riot! I'm sure this was the most memorable trip they've taken!

Collette Osuna said...

I was on the sidelines watching your story unfold....so happy that everyone was ok..yes....at times we just realize BEING together is the most important thing...not what we are doing, but whom we are doing it with...and..that totally sucked about your hair....errggh. Glad you got that fixed too:)

Welcome back sweets!!!

Stop by and say Hello:)
Enter my Free People Giveaway!!♥

Lori said...

So nice to see you back Carrie ~ love the pics of the fam! Along with praying for the people of Japan I kept a close eye on the news for things happening on the west coast ~ so glad that you are all ok. Recognize the Wranglers on your Dad ~ he is a cowboy!! xo

Lisa Griffin said...

this is definitely a really scary time! i'm so glad you and your family are well and safe!
www.indramaticfashion.com

LyddieGal said...

It is horrible enough to have to see the footage of Japan from a distance, but to deal with an actual evacuation -- that must have been so awful! Glad to hear you all stayed safe and still managed to have some fun times with your parents.

Love your beach shots, the sunlight is just so beautiful!

Closet Fashionista said...

Hehe yayyy!! Love this! Woohoo for family :D
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Courtney Erin said...

My god you've had a crazy week (seriously, bless you for chasing down that toilet paper trailing lady at the airport, that's just good karma).

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Dawn said...

A trip they (and you) will never forget I am sure.
My heart aches for Japan and the people.

BeautyH2T said...

lovley post Carrie, looks a super trip. My heart aches for all those people in Japan who have lost and are lost. Its just so sad.

Much love xxx

Julie and Lauren said...

Glad to hear everyone is safe! Your parents are adorable.
Xox

Anonymous said...

So glad you are safe and had somewhere to go!

Ashley said...

Such a great post. I'm glad nothing rolled to your neck of the woods...still, it's scary to think that it could, at any time, and there probably wouldn't be any warning. :(

It looks so gorgeous there. I'm like your dad and have never been there, either, but hopefully that will change soon enough!

My Heart Blogged said...

I'm sure that was a hard situation to deal with. I'm glad it still turned out well, and you got to appreciate on another.
My Heart Blogged

little luxury list said...

Act lively! That is a great shot.

Thanks for the reminder about Japan - we have to keep thinking of friends over there!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Kristen said...

what a whirlwind. thanks for this deeply heartfelt, yet lighthearted and fun at the same time, post. so glad you were able to soak in time wit mom and dad. they seem like special people.

Taylor said...

Girl I was worried about you and how the fam would do! So glad the Twitter kept us together!!! But I am with you the tragedy in Japan is utterly astonishing, we all have to give what we can! I still can't believe the damage - but I am thankful you and the fam made it out to the desert in one piece and enjoyed yourself! PS ROCKS!

PursuitOfLLT said...

sounds like a fabulous trip!!! i was so worried about everyone on the west coast i can't believe everything that happened. i'm happy nothing happened to SoCal and you had a wonderful trip with the fam. it's nice to just sit and take a moment and realize being with them is more important than anything else!

Marie a la Mode said...

Hi Carrie. So glad you got to spend some quality time with your parents. I cannot believe what happened in Japan either. I feel guilty going about my every day life when there are so many people suffering right now, you know? I've donated to Red Cross but I wish there was more I could do.

Unknown said...

sounds like a super eventful trip. i actually thought of you when i heard of the potential LA tsunami and your parents in from canada. glad you had fun and really glad that your parents spent that time with you.

Val said...

Thanks for posting this!! I love looking at life through pictures!!

Chiara said...

This may be one of my favorite posts from you! I can totally relate to having the skeptical dad coming to visit and planning everything juuust right so he leaves with the best of memories and then something completely out of your control happens....
My favorite shot is by far the one where they are peaking into the restaurant... so cute!
xoxo
C.

PS. how is your hair now?!

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

So glad your visit was great!! I'm with my parents now...trying to settle into the visit and not stress, never easy for me ;)

Marissa said...

I can't even imagine how nerve wracking that must have been! It really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? I'm so glad you got to be with your parents through it all.

kimbirdy said...

oh i'm so glad you were safe and happy and you got to have so much fun with your fam! those pictures are fantastic. i've never been to palm springs, but i'm hoping that will change soon.

Kayla said...

So glad you guys are safe and aside from a little shock and scare everything is okay. Looks like it still ended up being a good visit in the end.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl
Fanciful Brainstorm - Tumblr

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

You should take this post and make it into one of those hardcover albums. It's so ordinary right now, but it's life and beautiful time spent, therefore extraordinary :) Lovely read, so glad you had a wonderful time! I am headed home to Dallas next week while my husband stays home and plays Mr. Mom. I am so excited! XO, Kelly

STYLE'N said...

Hi there! sorry about the hair incident but sounds like you had a great time with your family. BEautiful pictures and yes it all really makes you appreciate the simple things like family right? And is Chef opening a restaurant? how exciting!!! And cheese....yummy : )

Tiffany Kadani said...

How timely. You were able to become closer to your family because of these events. Welcome back and I am glad you had a wonderful time.

FRANKIE HEARTS FASHION said...

C....so glad you and the units are safe. Was reading your play by plays on twitter and thinking about you! So glad they (and you) got to enjoy the PS. I'm thinking I need a mini vacay stat! xx

Valerie said...

Everything that's going on in Japan is just heartbreaking. When I see the footage on tv, I get short of breath, it just seems unreal. It sounds like your parents had a great trip besides the evacuation. Your dad is hilarious! I almost peed my pants over him doing the "fitness thing". And the Chef looking lively is also too funny! I love all the pictures, especially of the cheese. Did they like LA?? We'll have to catch up soon. Missed you!

xo
Val

Jardin de la Mode said...

Great pics! Love your outfit!
x

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

The devestation in Japan is really just too much to comprehend. I'm so glad you guys are all OK and it sounds like a good time of family togetherness. xo

Alyssa said...

that's wonderful that you remembered to simply be thankful to spend time with your loved ones. it's so easy to get caught up in extraneous activities and take the important things for granted. i'm glad your parents came down and that you all were safe. i love the beach romping pictures!

torrie said...

Despite the bit of chaos, it's good to hear that everything went smooth.

My mom's a hair stylist, and she recently had a 'hair incident' (on a dark-haired girl that wanted highlights), and she said the girl's look- after it was completed said it all. Then the correction, or revision ensued. :)

...What restaurant is he opening? I live in southern CA, not far from LA. I'd love to visit!

this free bird said...

oh torrie. i just wanted my same ol same ol that they've been doing for TWO YEARS. wth?? color over color. no highlights, no nothing. just brunette color. ugh!

and the restaurant is in hb. it will be called 'the corner' - i'll let you know when the opening date is closer so you can come over. yay!

xo,
carrie

A Crimson Kiss said...

I'm so glad to hear you are all okay, even if a bit of panic spread. It looks like you guys had a wonderful, restorative time together, and I'm glad you were able to really appreciate their visit.

xo, Lena

TheOnlineStylist said...

Thanks for sharing this - it really does bring home the realities of these natural disasters... which is easy to forget sometimes sitting here on the other side of the world. So glad you had a great time with your parents in the end. xx

torrie said...

hb... even better!

Ashley said...

whew! could you have had any more! love those pics!

Pilar said...

Sounds like they had a lovely time! Love the pictures btw.

Unknown said...

Isn't it fun to travel? I love it.
Cheese... great images.

RosaLovesDC said...

Hey girl, glad to have you back and to hear that you had a good times with the parents.
I just joined in For Japan with Love, which is a fund raising effort started by a couple of bloggers. http://www.forjapanwithlove.com/

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

aww, so many levels to this story, how wonderful that after 10 years your Mom came again and your Dad came for the first time! I'm sorry you guys had a Tsunami scare but I'm glad it ended well. Sounds like the rest of the trip went wonderfully :) I must say, your Dad's outfits in these are my favorite- SUCH a classic Dad look. :)

stylenuggets said...

Oh it was so good reading this. Reminds me of my folks back home. Its funny moments like this that make trips memorable.

Louise (Fifth Sparrow) said...

I love all the photos, it's like a story book! It looks like you guys had a blast together, and I'm loving that your style sense came from your dad (haha jk, he has the same wardrobe as my dad!)
So glad the Tsunami didn't hurt you guys, and I'm with you on the praying for Japan... it really could happen anywhere. xx

alli/hooray said...

oh wow, what a visit for your parents. I am SO glad you guys are all safe and sound out there, and I've been thinking about the people in Japan (and their loved ones) non stop. Thank you for continuing to raise awareness for ways to help! Every bit makes a difference.

PS. I love the photo of chef "acting lively"...made me smile :)

TheChambrayCountess said...

I am glad to hear that you had a great time and that you are safe!

Corey Thompson said...

I wish I could have come meet the rents! I love the pic of Chris "acting Lively" and I know what you were saying in the bw pic at the hotel!

Ashleigh said...

So glad you are all safe! It sounds like a good visit with the 'rents - that hotel looks pretty sweet!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails