Thursday, March 17, 2011

For Japan With Love


This week has gone by in a slow flowing daze.  The disaster in Japan has been at the forefront of my mind all day every day no matter what I'm doing.  If I stop for just a second the images are right there, and I can't help thinking about what the Japanese people are going through and how badly they need our help.  This could happen to any of us living on the coast.  

Tomorrow I've decided to pitch in with many others in the blogosphere and not post as an act of solidarity and moment of silence paying tribute to Japan.  Many thanks to Ever Ours and Utterly Engaged for putting this together.  In addition to a day of silence, they have coordinated fundraising efforts.  Would you consider giving to ShelterBox?  One of the first organizations asked by Japan to assist, ShelterBox was on hand the Saturday after the quake.  Each large, green ShelterBox is tailored to a disaster, but typically contains a disaster relief tent for an extended family, blankets, water storage, purification equipment, cooking utensils, a stove, a basic took kit, a children's activity pack and other vital items. I can't imagine how much I would appreciate one of these if I were in their shoes.

You can also contribute to the Red Cross here.  Let's do all we can to let the people of Japan know they have our support.  

12 comments:

stylenuggets said...

'This could happen to any of us living on the coast' - so true. Natural disasters can strike anywhere. Just added the button to my blog and will be tweeting this too.

TheChambrayCountess said...

I didn't know very much about Shelter Box, so I think that is really cool.

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

Hi Carrie! Have a great weekend. Hugs to you XO, Kelly

Bonnie said...

I wish I could shut up long enough for a moment of silence.
Epic fail.
However, Japan remains in my thoughts and prayers.

http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Kristen said...

thanks for this post. you are an inspiration.

Claire Kiefer said...

Also, Living Social is doing matching donations! Donate $5 today and they will contribute $10. They've raised almost 2 million in the past couple days! And btw, I'm terribly amused by your tag on this post, "2011 After Christmas Sales." heehee.

drollgirl said...

there are a million ways to help those out in need, and kudos to those that are doing their part. for reals. we are all vulnerable to one disaster or another, and it is good to know that people will help when we need it.

Catita said...

hey that is great but I didn't know about it and I actually did post but regarding the amazing gesture F21 is doing in sending 100% of the money earned today via their online shop to Japan. It really is a win win situation!
xoxoC
Atita

Lori said...

I have not spent much time around this week so sadly my post was already out there when I found out about the day of silence. I have given to the Red Cross ~ and like everyone else ~ been glued to the tv. It is so sad... xo

Jess said...

great idea. such a sad ordeal.

On another note, yes it has been way too long! Been very busy, hope all is well!

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

well done, the entire thing is so sad and horrendous to witness

Meg said...

This silence day is an honorable thing you did,really!I'm a new follower,if u like...http://themissidea.blogspot.com/!
xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails