Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ace Hotel

When the Chef and I took my parents to visit their friends in Palm Springs last weekend we were lucky enough to stay at the Ace Hotel.  It is no easy feat to find a vacancy out there at this time of year, so we were pretty happy about it to say the least.  To top it off it's a hotel we've been eyeballing for about a year so it was the perfect time to check it out.

Now I by no means consider myself a hipster.  Somehow I feel as though I have not mastered with ease the art of looking disheveled and slightly dirty while being clean.  The Chef sometimes disagrees with me - what he doesn't know is that when he rolls in here at the end of the day to find me in a moderately wrinkled dress with my hair all torn up it's because I rolled out of bed that way and never bothered to clean up.  Wait a second...

Anyway.  Prepare for an onslaught of pictures of the ultimate hipster haven.  We had a really great time staying there.  The beds are ridiculously comfortable and the atmosphere is uber laid-back.  It is the ideal place to visit if you're going with friends.  Here's a little tour...

View from the street as you drive up on the property.
Immediate vintage feel when you see the sign as you check in.
What I didn't have the guts to get was a picture of a shirtless guy in skintight
denim shorts wearing a royal blue sweatband around his head as he strolled out
of the pool area.  It took me straight back to 1981.
Speaking of pool - here's one of them.  See what I mean about laid back and friend driven?
Not that you couldn't lay out by yourself, but certainly more of a community type place.
Now for the goods:
The room.  The quality of this picture doesn't even nearly do it justice.
Canvas bed covers atop feather duvets, canvas draperies, denim upholstered headboards,
built in loungers that can double as twin beds, and all the extra little touches.
Yes that is Blanket who came along on the trip.
But the walking stick on the wall?  Not mine.  Wish it could've been though.
Might need it by the time the 30 Day Shred is over.  Anyway.

If you were following me on twitter that weekend you know I was all kinds
of fixated on the robe.  I had a tough time leaving it behind...
ahem.
And how about these cool desert pics.  Totally set the old school mood
that is so Palm Springs.
Outdoor lounge areas fill up in the evenings as people hang out around outdoor
built in firepit/fire places.  So relaxing and possibly my favorite feature.
After the robe.  And the bed.
I had a tough time leaving and look forward to visiting again.

Now even though this has nothing to do with this particular post, except summer weather is coming and I need to drop 10 to feel more comfortable wearing sheer, I just wanted to say day one of the 30 Day Shred is over and we are now on Day 2.  I already have a surge in energy and am thinking about quitting.  No jokes.  How can these two opposite reactions occur simultaneously?  Of course I will be sticking with it thanks to fellow Shredders.  Please let me know if you are throwing in with us and I'll post a formal list here tomorrow that we can all share, as well as add you to the list on twitter so that we can keep each other going.  My twitter account links to facebook so you can stay updated/in communication if you don't have twitter.  Hollar!! I feel thinner and healthier already!!

So far:  Katie - Fashion's Maven, Taylor - Curly in the City, Kristin - Skinny Jeans & a Chai Latte, Torrie - A Place to Share, Kayla - Ramblings of a Small Town Girl, Danielle - Elleinadspir, J - Oh Hey It's J.  I know there are 7 or 8 others who mentioned doing it too - if you're in just leave a note in the comments and I'll add you ASAP - wanted to make sure.  You can start anytime.  Will have proper links later today.

57 comments:

Kerri said...

very strong of you NOT to take the robe!!

this free bird said...

It was $150. That helped. It was flannel. A light breathable fantastic striped flannel. See?? HELP

xo,
C

Collette Osuna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Collette Osuna said...

Love the pics....and the robe....Id have a hard time leaving that sucker behind too...looks just like a VSecret robe I LIVE in.....good luck with your shredder....I know you will do fine:)

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Nice tour!
Love the outdoor fireplace!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had fun... the robe is giving blanket some competition! xo

Lisa Griffin said...

love these photos! it looks like the OC circa 1980 pretty looooovely and you look lovely in your sheer, just in case you end up needing that walking stick..hehe
www.indramaticfashion.com

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

Loving your adventures, as always, and your photos are so cool! XO, Kelly

RosaLovesDC said...

I love it that you take "Blanket" every where with you.

LyddieGal said...

As someone who has never stuck to an exercise regimen for more than a day, I know how you feel. Good luck!
The hotel looks amazing, and you totally could have made off with the robe, they wouldn't mind.

Val said...

I want to join you on your amazing adventures!!

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

That hotel looks amazing...and I love a good robe! Loving our shred support group!

LifestyleBohemia said...

Palm Springs is on my list of places I hope to visit. This hotel looks fantastic!
xx
Joanna

Courtney Erin said...

I love that they have a dog park! I'm doing the Shred right now but I'm nearing the end (I'm on the third workout).

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

little luxury list said...

Whoa denim headboard and walking stick? So hipster but so cool!

I'm with you in spirit for the Shred!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

MerciBlahBlah said...

I JUST saw a post on another blog about the Ace recently. Guh. Looks SO frigging cool. I am still waiting for you to send me that white skirt. Not so patiently, I might add...

I'm officially in with the Shred. Did my first day of it last night.

Mwah!
Shan

Tiffany Kadani said...

That shot in the robe is so awesome! I would have a hard time leaving it also. Canvas covers? That sounds so fun!

Chiara said...

That place seems like FUN, and I definitely agree I feel like it is a trip back to the 80s!
xo

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

How fun! I'm sure your parents were dazzled by your fun life. I like the rooms :)

I've heard that the 30 Day Shred is great. I might need to order it off Amazon and get started, I've been terrible with my diet for the past month!

PursuitOfLLT said...

that place looks awesome! i'd love to go just to people watch too! haha


and i'm in for the 30 day shred. i meant to go to tarjay yesterday but found myself in greektown at dinner with friends eating fried greek donut bite things for dessert. WHOOPS! :)

My Heart Blogged said...

That place is like hipster heaven. What a cool concept.
My Heart Blogged

Alyssa said...

how fun! it looks so relaxing there. the robe looks like a small tent on you, i can see why it's so comfy

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooh how fun! Yay for them having a vacancy, haha :D
and XD I would probably feel the same way as you about the 30 day shred, but I would be bad and stop :p
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

FRANKIE HEARTS FASHION said...

That robe is genius and so is the hotel....I'm thinking I need to make a visit there real soon! And I'm cheering you on from the sidelines with th shred....I wouldn't last a day!

torrie said...

My mom used to take us every year... playing in the pool all day- only to stop for vending machine snacks, going to the movies at the old theater, getting to pick out a new toy at the downtown toy store, Mexican dinners, Denny's breakfasts... Except our hotel was not nearly as amaaaazing (Motel 6) =).

We've gone back in recent years, and stayed in some pretty cool places, but not yet the Ace... next time for sure!

(love our lil' Shredder group!)

Kristen said...

forget shred, I want to head straight to this hotel. is it expensive?!?

Taylor said...

I am thinking a night out here would be necessary on my HS reunion trip!!!!

PS - LETS SHRED!!!!!!! (Now that sounds early 90's beach talk! Maybe they know the Ace peeps!)

Annie said...

what a beautiful hotel!

kelli g. { bug miscellany } said...

looks like an amazing place to stay. i need a vacy so bad!
which does indeed have me pondering this whole Shred shenanigans...

Anonymous said...

Looks like my kind of place. I just booked 2 nights in a cabin at a state park in the Florida Keys. Now I just got to find someone willing to go with me.

Briana Lurye said...

great pictures!
now following, so follow back!

-b

SILVIA said...

so cute!!
i absolutely in love with you blog!
=D
xx

Josie said...

This looks like an amazing getaway -- and you're seriously my new heroes for this 30 Day Shred thing, ladies. I think I'm going to try it over the summer and you're my inspiration!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

fshnonmymind said...

This hotel and your vacay looks perfect. I love funky and boutique-y kinds of hotels and the ACE has been one that I'm dying to check out. Jetsetter is having a sale for the one in NY today and I'm hoping the price is right. I stayed at the Parker Palm Springs on a trip several years ago and this makes me want to go back (minus that summer heat though, I don't need that again).

So, I ordered the 30-day Shred video yesterday and it is on its way to me now. I'm going to Shred too, but I might lag behind all you gals who have started already. I'm quivering about what's in store though.

Valerie said...

The hotel, the robe, the bed, the pool, all look like the perfect weekend getaway! I'm dying for a weekend trip to Palm springs to relax and catch some warm weather (as the rain comes rolling in again here). And I'm so impressed with all of you doing the shred! I think I'll sit this one out and just watch, but I'll be with you in spirit (and cheering you on as you go).

And about the hipster thing (chuckled at that from our e-mails yesterday), is THAT what it is?? Someone who looks dirty and disheveled but is actually clean? I'm really out of the loop, I thought it was just someone who was considered "hip". Ha!

xo
Val

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

You know I'm in dollface! Shredhead forevah!

Anonymous said...

Ok the bed looks and sounds a-ma-zing. Having a behind on life day again, but I will Shred before this day is over. Day 3 and I'm not in horrific pain yet so that's a good sign. I think. Jillian would probably disagree.

Wendy Lady said...

That hotel looks amazing!! I want to go there, like now. And I tried the shred, and almost died after the first day. I've resigned myself to the fact that I need to get in better shape before I take on that challenge again.

this free bird said...

Keep hanging in there Katie - you can do it. Maybe you need a few dark chocolate chips to turn the day around :)

and Miss Wendy - girl do a bit of each circuit on that dvd and slowly work your way in. The first time I started it I did that at each level and completed it with excellent results. You can do it!! xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

I love the Ace Hotel. Its such an amazing place! I so wish I would be there right now:) Have a great day, sweetie
Kisses

Ps: I’m hosting an amazing GIVEAWAY today! You can win 5 cool art posters!

A Crimson Kiss said...

No wonder you were mad for the robe-it's divine! Striped flannel sounds like heaven!

Unknown said...

you're so cute!! the robe!

lovely post! and whatever this shredding thing specifically entails, i hope you get tons of energy out of it!

ChristieM said...

Love it!I usually stay at the Parker Palm Springs but I have to check out the ACE now!

this free bird said...

Christie! It's prolly pretty close to nothing like the Parker. Haha!! Not fancy schmancy at all. Much more laid back.

xo,
C

Marissa said...

Is this related to the Ace Hotel in New York? It seems like a similar vibe, but of course the West Coast version is much more laid back.

this free bird said...

Marissa I do believe it is - you can find the family of hotels on their link.

xo,
c

Jess said...

Looks like you had a fantastic time!! This is definitely making me antsy for my trip to Naples next week... ahhhh get me out of here NOW!!

Katie*Belle said...

This looks like an incredible trip! I'm so jealous -- but in a good way : )

Lady Grey said...

that whole shredding thing sounds intense. Good for you!

stylenuggets said...

Never heard of shredding- where have I been? Must google it now!

Gorgeous Glam said...

Omgracious I was there last week too! We probablly rubbed our hipster shoulders past each other and didn't even know! xo

Unknown said...

That hotel looks perfect for me! What's the address?

justagirlLaura said...

I would KILL to spend a weekend here. Right now. If I could get out of the craziness that is Chicago weather I'd be a happy girl.

Good luck with the shred, girl. I'll be eagerly reading your tweets and hope they'll inspire me to move my ass!

truthandshoes said...

That looks fabulous! We often make an overnight stop in PS in a loungey hotel in the summer when we drive from az to ca--will have to add Ace to the list.

Noe @ ADELLA AVENUE said...

It's so great to have a fantastic first-hand review. The photos have had me interested to stay, but now seeing your pictures and getting the real skinny has me convinced its a must-go. Thanks for sharing.. I feel like I've been on a mini vacation just reading the post!

-xx Noe ADELLA AVENUE

Olivia.Dee said...

helloooo! i am (was) a button-less friend on Kai's page too.
new follower.

I've been hearing about this hotel for a bit now... and I think you just gave me the perfect setting for a girls weekend getaway that I've been planning.

:]

Thelma Frayne said...

The room looks amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails