Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Glassybaby (to the rescue)

The other day I was talking with a friend of mine expressing angst over hard-to-come-up-with last minute gift ideas.  I really like giving gifts with meaning and, having left things to the last minute this year (never again), was melting under the pressure.  Her voice lit up as she described Glassybaby - a product that I think is going to become one of my fave gifts to give and receive (Santa?, Santa?)


Glassybaby was founded by Lee Rhodes who, in 1998, was fighting a rare form of lung cancer and looking for an outlet to relieve stress.  She had given the gift of a glassblowing class to the father of her kids who, in turn, made and gifted Lee these candle holders in various colors.  They were an instant source of serenity as she filled them with votives and relaxed by their soothing colors.  By 2001 Lee began creating on her own and in 2003 opened her first store in Seattle having hired professional glass blowers to meet growing demands.  That location remains today as the primary store and studio, but two others have been added in University Village and Bellevue - as well as one in New York City.  How great is that?  

At the core of the company is a desire to give back.  Certain Glassybaby's give a portion of profits to various cancer charities.  I picked up the bff for a good friend of mine - I love knowing that 10% will be donated to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. If you have your back against the wall and are looking for a last minute gift totally check out the site - there are so many wonderful colors to choose from I was like a deer in the headlights trying to narrow it down.

*UPDATE* The rain is still coming down and I could use about 700 Glassybaby's to relax by.  Is it January 2nd yet?  No.  To ease my pain are cookies.  Have you guys visited Mara at M Loves M?  She is one of my daily reads - I love her kind heart and great outfits, as well as the fun relationship she shares with her fiance.  Mara's been hosting a Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange and featured my Thimble Cookies yesterday...totally check her out and read back through all the amazing and fun cookies that have been previewed!! I think these just might be the cutest ones I've ever seen.

27 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh that is such an amazing gift idea. I so need to get one! Thank you ,sweetie for sharing this with us! Hope you will get some sunshine soon and wish you a lovely day
Muah

little luxury list said...

Lovely candles and for such a great cause too!

Yes I saw your cookies! I think I saved the recipe when you posted already - yum jam!

Anonymous said...

I clicked on the link and am amazed at all the different colors! It's like the OPI of candles! My eye zeroed in on Glamour! Love these. How great would it be to have them all over the house?! xo

Chas said...

What a great idea! Have a nice day Carrie!

Tiffany Kadani said...

Totally love this gift idea. And congrats on the cookie feature!

Anonymous said...

Simple but lovely!

Jessica said...

I love the whole idea surrounding glassybaby! This would be such a great gift. Just read your feature of Mara's blog. I love reading hers daily as well as yours, and was so excited to see your thimble cookies!

Courtney Erin said...

I'll have to check them out - it sounds like a great company!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

congrats on the feature! you always have the best recipes, carrie.

those glasses are so pretty and i love that they give proceeds to charity--great idea all around!

Dawn said...

Super gift idea....very original!!

Jude said...

Congratulations on the cookie feature - so awesome! And I adore these glasses! Memorial Sloan Kettering does such great cancer work (OK, I'm a little biased, a good friend works there :)), and I can't think of a better cause. Makes these glass pretties even more special!

Isabel said...

those are really beautiful!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

What a lovely story- thanks for sharing Carrie- I think they are beautiful-
Hope you are having a good week- When is the frikin rain going to stop?

TheChambrayCountess said...

That is a great idea and this time of year makes me happier than ever about the donation to charity.
I think I will get a glass of milk before continuing to look at those cookies ;)

Johanna said...

Love this gift idea and such a pretty shade of pink!

FRANKIE HEARTS FASHION said...

What a genius idea... And to give back to charity makes it all the more reason to buy! When you get yours, send some over to me...this damn rain is killin me!

Unknown said...

Definitely an amazing gift. Merry Christmas, Carrie!

Marie a la Mode said...

They're so unique! Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas Carrie! I hope you have a wonderful time on the Prairies. Will you be here on Boxing Day? Checking out the sales at Holt's perhaps? ; )

Nikki said...

So cute! Love the pink!

xx
Nikki

Josie said...

These are so gorgeous, Carrie, and I love that they are meaningful gifts that help give back to a great cause. I've been trying to do some gift-giving with breast cancer awareness products and (my favorite) things for The Monument of Our Hearts this year. Such a great way to give in two ways! And I saw your cookies on M Loves M and I LOVED the feature!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...

Candles are the best! I too have a hard time narrowing it down. Especially the scented ones...I have to smell each and every one at the stores. Haha! I'm a lost cause. Merry Christmas to you!

Closet Fashionista said...

Oooh how fun!!! What a great gift idea!! (and oyy on the rain...haha)
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

LyddieGal said...

that's a sweet story and some really lovely looking votive holders!

Hope the rain lets up soon!

Chic on the Cheap

Lori said...

These are great Carrie ~ checking them out now! Hope the rain stops for you soon ~ it is raining sideways here...

kelli g. { bug miscellany } said...

i looove glassybaby! i actually got one as a gift this year. it's gray and i loves it. :)

Jenny N said...

ooh, pretty pretty!

Isabel said...

OMG i got 2 of these as an xmas gift from my aunt & uncle. my poor aunt carried 12 of these in her carry-on from seattle to toronto. LOVE THEM. i also hope to receive more as gifts. lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails