Saturday, March 10, 2012

Don't Just Stand There

What can I say? I'm having a moment. A phase? A thing.

I'm in a zone.

When I was younger and first beginning to collect memories I would find myself in a slew of warm times, cushioned in by friends and laughter or tragedy and sadness resulting in growth and a kind of inner strength that hadn't been there before, and get lulled into thinking life would always be that way.

When I first realized those were seasons I was in my first semester of university, something I had so looked forward to, and hating it.  There I sat in my car, heat blasting on my face and freezing cold toes as -30 weather tried to suck the life out of me, thinking about how boring things had become. Wasn't life on your own supposed to be more interesting than this? As I flipped through images in my mind it hit me 'If that happens again I need to soak it in for all it's worth'.

And thankfully more of those special times keep coming, but they still sneak up sometimes.

Last week we went to the desert for a few days. It was incredibly peaceful and quiet and warm with no set agenda. I was sitting there completely still when it donned on me: you're in one. Not because I was out of town, but because it was quiet enough to hear my life.

Sounds hokey, but it's true.

Is it possible to have a spiritual moment within your life? I'm not sure spiritual is the right word. Maybe a time of introspection or self-reflection where you tuck away inside yourself is a better way to describe it.  Whatever you want to call it, that's where I'm at and no I haven't been hitting the sauce. In fact I'm on a no alcohol thing for 30 days. Yeah, get there.

Lately my spare time has been walks at the beach instead of hours at the blog. Kicking off the Whole 30 and getting serious about maintaining my health. Reading a book instead of watching hours of reality tv. It may not last forever, but it's where I'm happiest right now.  And this lifestyle used to be the norm rather than a retreat. Can't say I'm happy about that but, then again, things don't just change themselves.

On a lighter note though?  I found myself, with few others around, face to face with Erin Wasson while out of town. If you follow me on Pinterest you know she is my absolute fave. Due to state of shock status all I managed to gather (aside from my mouth from the ground smh) was her hair getting into the passenger side of the car.  And yes her hair really is that good. And no I just could not bring myself to haul up into her personal space and interrupt her day. Even though I immediately regretted it after they drove away.


She is an absolute stunner, the definition of brains and beauty, and one of those rare people who looks even better in person.  Girl crush.

I'll probably never recover from not just jumping on her and hugging her. Think deer in headlights.

20 comments:

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

I've missed your posts, but I've been smiling to myself every day when I don't see one...knowing it means you are taking time for YOU. Good!!!! You deserve it lady.

Closet Fashionista said...

I agree, sometimes its good to take time and just think about life for a while and do the simple things. I feel like I need to do that soon...no blog, no tv....but I'm not sure I'd be able to do it XD
And wooohooo Erin Wasson!
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Callie Grayson said...

You are missed, but good for you for taking the time for yourself. I have been doing the same re prioritizing stuff n my life, and enjoying it.
Xx
Callie

Courtney Erin said...

I miss your regular presence on the interwebs but I think it's really, really great that you are taking more "you" time!

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

The Suburb Experiment said...

We're going on vacation this week to (*cross your fingers*) sunny southern CA and I've decided no technology or TV. Just living in the moment enjoying our time away from the grind (and rain - cross your fingers heheh).

I'm glad you're taking time for you Carrie. It's important to recharge and re-evaluate.

Jenn
The Suburb Experiment

Lori said...

I am in the midst of writing a guest post about finding joy in the simple pleasures so this really struck a nerve with me Carrie. We have to do what makes us happy ~ taking walks on the beach and reading a book sounds like the perfect way to recharge your batteries ~ love it! xo

allison said...

I'm glad you had some quiet time to think and reflect. Unfortunately I think way too much.

Tiffany Kadani said...

Sometimes life calls for these stretches of time. I believe in having a spiritual moment each day. Why not? Life only gets better when you do.

Josie said...

I can't believe you saw her. I'm so far beyond jealous. And I totally know what you mean. I'm having such a fantastic semester -- I keep trying to soak up every drop of it but it's just slipping away!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

TheChambrayCountess said...

Taking time for yourself is great and when it enables you to encounter E Wasson, I think that's awesome!!

A Crimson Kiss said...

I had a similar, though likely alcohol-induced moment the other day. The internet is only as important as we make it, and not better than a book or the beach or quiet. So glad you're enjoying it.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Good for you! Sounds like you're having a great time focusing on You!

Claire Kiefer said...

I don't know who that is but I will google her right away. I'm glad you're embracing your introspective phase right now, cause if it's there, I guess you need it. I could probably use a break from the booze & reality tv as well . . . but not until after tonight when we see the disastrous culmination of The Bachelor . . . even though we already know what's going to happen. Mostly, I just want to see him scramble on After the Final Rose.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

You sure come across some fabulous people lady!

little luxury list said...

Definitely take the time for yourself. Those moments can be so few in our otherwise hectic lives!

RosaLovesDC said...

Girl, after our little chat last night, you got me inspired and while I am not doing the Whole 30, I am getting some ideas for healthy snacking, doing more reading (just ordered a new book on Amazon!) and relaxing more.
BTW, I am surprised you didn't ran after Erin Wasson. I would have run to her and say "I love you" (PS. I did that with Carla Hall, true story).

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Taking time for yourself is a very good thing!

heather said...

not sure what the whole 30 is, but i've been planning on doing a 30-day cleanse, too. only i was supposed to start in march, and i didn't :) i've been able to read a lot more taking the train to work, which makes me feel oddly and finally back like myself. started acupuncture weekly. and i'll finally be going to a yoga class this saturday. baby steps. but it's like the last thing i can get myself to do after working on a computer all day--to come home and be on the computer more. i kinda miss the days where i could use the computer for fun! :) wishing you well, beautiful.

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you've taken the time to unplug and relax. Channel your inner free bird. :)

Johanna said...

Erin is the ultimate stunner. Agreed. I would have just stood there open mouthed myself.

Glad you got out to the desert. It is good...so so good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails